Low Frequency Foam Absoption Properties

I ran across this tonight, thought some of you guys that frequent this section might find it interesting. A lot more useful than if a Slovek tube sounds better than a Waterhouse, if you ask me.

(No offense to you tube rollers out there, I hope to be one of you some day.)

http://www.ethanwiner.com/density/density.html

Yes. I've spoken with Ethan a number of times. It's nice to know some musicians are actually interested in "quality sound" and have technical attributes as well.

The FR701 and such types of other "rigid" insulation should not be confused with rigid insulation products such as Celetex. FR701 absorbs lower frequencies better, but its also thicker and has a higher density per cubic inch. The applications and installation/construction techniques also differ.

Another similar, and even more effective product IMO, brought to my attention by our Canadian Forum Friend, Mike Hurd, is Roxul. Great stuff! I'm going to be installing their RHT80 behind my polycylinders.

(I hate tube rolling) 14.gif

You're making me strain my brain here, but I think the 3 main attributes you've given to a material for any accoustical purpose are absorbtion, isolation and reflection?

I'd like to think I'm beyond expecting the same product to do both absorbtion and isolation, though I'm sure there are some instances where that works. I don't claim to know much yet, but I know I'd know even less if it weren't for this site, and in particular, a few of the regulars to this forum; artto, formica, DrWho and others whose name escape me at the moment.

Thank You.

----------------

On 1/24/2005 8:04:09 PM Champagne taste beer budget wrote:

You're making me strain my brain here, but I think the 3 main attributes you've given to a material for any accoustical purpose are absorbtion, isolation and reflection?

----------------

Isolation has more to do with "construction", materials AND methods, for controlling noise, in or out of the space.

The basic "acoustical properties" of materials are absorption, reflection, diffraction, refraction, and diffusion. 2.gif