Great Room re-design

texican58

Forum members,

Great input on this site. I've been a Klipsch fan since 1980. Unfortunately - never took the plunge and purchased.

That's changing NOW.

I'm in the midst of renovating my Great Room (15'w x 25'l x 18'h). Seating will be 11'-12' from new Samsung HL-P6163W HDTV monitor in a 10'w wall unit/cabinet (on short wall). I want to mount my front, left, and right speakers within this wall unit, and place equivalent speakers on the opposite end of the room. I will be sitting directly in the middle of the room/rectangle.

My brother has had multiple Klipsch models (Quartets, Belle's, Fortes, LaScalas, Khorns, Heresy's), and that's where I got the fever.

I'm shopping for Klipsch speakers and I've been targeting Heresys. Does any of the new stuff measure up to the famed Klipsch quality that hooked me originally?

I've been seeing information on RBs, RCs, RFs, reference, pro, bookshelves, etc.

What I want is intense sound, fine detail, sharpness, clarity, and punch. Loud or soft, I want it clean and crisp.

My target is a 5.1 speaker configuration, but a 7.1 AVR for a dual-zoned listening configuration.

So, for you experienced HT gurus, what say you when comparing Heresys to the new stuff (RFs, RBs, etc.) Do I go old or new? Will I get the same legendary sound from the new stuff that I've heard from the Heresys?

Any input is appreciated, especially from accomplished audiophiles.

P.S. I'm evaluating Receivers also. From what I've read, I need to investigate the Marantz, Pioneer, Rotel, and Denon offerings.

thx in advance...

texican58

" What I want is intense sound, fine detail, sharpness, clarity, and punch. Loud or soft, I want it clean and crisp."

Don't we all want that from our system ?????

I say.... once you desired the Heritage speakers, there is no turning back.

Stay focused on the speaker timbre matching, by staying with only one Klipsch line !

Don't mix and match .

(...sounds like you are preferring Heritage)

Stick w/ your preference and you will be happy w/ your surround goals ?

The budget is $2000 for the speakers and the AVR. I've been monitoring the Heresy speakers on ebay...and often you can pick up a pair for $350-$500/pr. 2 pr of Heresys ($1000), and another $500-$600 for the AVR. I have the remaining components, DVD, gaming station, etc.

If I go "bookshelf-style", I will be mounting the back (surround) speakers 7' from the floor on brackets/shelves in the corners of the room. If Heresys, I'll place them on pillar stands @ 4' off the floor (same corners).

My other concern....we're putting a hardwood floor in that room, so I'll probably need to investigate bass traps and acoustic devices to reduce/elimate bounce. I will also be adding a large 12'x15' rug in the middle of the room.

your advice?

texican58

You need to factor in a sub for your system since Heresys are bass challenged (I run 5 Heresys for surrounds/center in my HT). So your budget might be a bit slim to accomplish what I think you want.

And my gut tells me that with those high ceilings and a hardwood floor, despite the area rug, that is gonna be one live room.

The budget for the AVR....is that for a new unit or used?

I wouldn't rule out the Klipsch Reference series. They are a fine sounding speaker. They have a different sound to be sure. But better or worse? I think your ears need to decide that.

And dare I say this??? I don't think you should rule out other speaker manufacturers either. Take your time and audtion other brands. If for no other reason than to solidify your choice of the "Klipsch sound".

Good luck in your quest. 1.gif

Tom

----------------

On 1/28/2005 3:17:00 PM Tom Adams wrote:

You need to factor in a sub for your system since Heresys are bass challenged (I run 5 Heresys for surrounds/center in my HT). So your budget might be a bit slim to accomplish what I think you want.

And my gut tells me that with those high ceilings and a hardwood floor, despite the area rug, that is gonna be one live room.

I wouldn't rule out the Klipsch Reference series. They are a fine sounding speaker. They have a different sound to be sure. But better or worse? I think your ears need to decide that.

And dare I say this??? I don't think you should rule out other speaker manufacturers either. Take your time and audtion other brands. If for no other reason than to solidify your choice of the "Klipsch sound".

Good luck in your quest.
1.gif

Tom

----------------

----------------

On 1/28/2005 3:17:00 PM Tom Adams wrote:

Good luck in your quest.
1.gif

Tom

----------------

Tom,

I appreciate the feedback. There will be upholstered furniture in that room, (pit group, extra-large chair, etc.).

I'm also looking at the Reference series products. They may be more suitable for the "wall unit" that's going to house the Fronts and Center.

The more I read, the more my interest changes to alternative models. I've always been a Heritage fan, but I'm beginning to consider the Reference line for modular fit into my environment.

Thanks for you input.

Texican58

I'm running an rf-35 based Reference line HT, and it sounds fantastic. If money allows, you may need to think about budgeting a bit more for your reciever, as an inferior avr will not do your system justice. Look into Arcam and NAD avrs in addition to the excellent brands you mentioned. Good luck!

Scott

The latest....

I was able to get another Cornwall cabinet from California (on its way) to round out the fronts and center. I have another forum member making me a crossover. I still need a K-33, K-55, and a K77.

I'm currently using two A/D/S L980s as rears, but seriously considering adding two more Heresys for either a 7.1 or eliminating the 980s and using the Heresys as rears. If I go "all-Heritage" HT, I'll just use all Heritage in a 5.1 configuration w/ my Velodyne sub, but I am tempted to go 7.1 and use the 980's somewhere in this mix as well.

Overall the HT systems is nice and will be nicer once the "wall unit" is completed, especially with my 3rd Cornwall as my center.

Stay tuned and thanks for input.

texican58

• 3 months later...

Update:

I changed TVs...got the Sony 70" Grand Wega. because the TV is so big, I cancelled the custom cabinet and reduced it to a TV credenza (6' x 35"t). I now have '88 LaScalas, '78 CWs and another CW center, a 12" sub, and I'm debating on whether to use LaScalas as fronts and CWs as rears or vice-versa. I also have some RS35s and and RC3II but I'm wary of using them w/ Heritage equipment for timbre matching reasons. As surrounds, the RS35s may be fine. If so, I'd move either the LaScalas or CWs to another room and make another HT system or dedicated 3-channel music room there.

Anybody doing two LaScalas and a CW center in 3-channel array for music?

Mitch

You can definately use lascalas and a cornwall as the front 3, I would use the heresy as a surround speaker in this setup. By not building a cabinet around the front speakers, you will also not have diffraction, and re-radiation of sound as well. ( read: better without big cabinet )

I think you are on the right track, there is also nothing wrong with the reference speakers, you might consider using them ( you already have them ) for a second ( master bedroom or den ) system.