Refoaming a set of mach one woofers.

arfz28

First I took the woofer out, 6 screws hold it in place. I turned it over and began the process of taking off the outside trim ring, it is held by a few little plastic things that screw onto some small studs on the trim ring. I counldnt find my needle nose pliers so I grabed what was handy a set of channel locks a little to big for the job but they worked. I got the plastic holders off and then began to use a utility knife to remove the glue that also holds it in place.

post-8918-13819261386604_thumb.jpg

I then covered the voice coil area with some duck tape so I wouldnt get anymore stuff in there. This is some tricky cutting to do now there is still some of the edge of the dustcap on the speaker cone that needs to be removed. I carfully made about 3 pases around with my hobby knive and was good enough for me.

post-8918-13819261393164_thumb.jpg

Time to shim the voice coil. The kit came with 3 different size shims that are about 3 inches by 6 inches and paper thin which I cut into 3 pieces to fit around the voice coil.I used the thickest shim and the medium thick shim this made a nice tite fit to hold the woofer straight and aligned for the refoaming job.

post-8918-13819261394924_thumb.jpg

After I got the foam suround in place I centered it the best I could and then used my fingers to press the foam suround around the speaker cone. It worked perty good the drier the glue got the better the foam stuck. The less glue you use the better off you are I found that out.

post-8918-13819261397284_thumb.jpg

After the glue dried for about a half an hour I then took a tooth pick with some glue on it and went around the foam. Probably not necesary but it will help seal and hold the foam suround to the cone. After this step that was done to both woofers they needed to set overnight to let the glue dry before glueing the foam suround to the woofer basket.

post-8918-13819261397954_thumb.jpg