Big Screen's Shakin'

I just received my KLF-20's and need some help with the vibration they're causing to my Samsung HDTV. The TV sits on carpet and has rollers on the bottom for easy movement. The speakers are about 3 feet from each side of the TV and my KSW-15 is 15 feet away.

Is there anything I can try to stop the unwanted vibration noise? I can stand by the TV and physically eliminate the noise by placing my hands on the back of the TV cabinet. However, I can't really enjoy the 20's from this position.

Any help would be appreciated.

A2K

Humm is there anyway you can "ballast" your tv? It is common on speakers to fill them with sand to stop this sort of vibration. Maybe you can hang some sandbags on the back or put some heavy object on the top?

Also try looking here

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi

Someone there may have had teh same problem.

Laters,

------------------

FOR SALE OR TRADE COMPLETE R*3 SYSTEM FOR 3 HERESY'S

Main System -

Cornwalls (L/R main)

2 RF-3's (center channel)

RS-3's (white)

SVS 20-39CS

Harman Kardon AVR 510

Hafler P505 (running sub)

ProMedia 4.2 v400 for PC

Bedroom -

KG4's

Harman Kardon AVR 20 MKII

I have a few suggestions. It is difficult to suggest a "sure fix" without being there, and knowing to what extent any fix can be implemented without effecting the cosmetics of the surface.

You may have read that people use rope cauk clay to dampen vibrations in horns. I thing that would help, however the great area involved might make it unworkable. Also, potentially sloppy if applied to the entire surface. On the other hand, maybe a criss cross of the strings would work.

The clay doubtlessly dampens the mechanical system; as your hands do. However, any sort of mass attached to the panel could lower its resonant frequency below its present frequency. Perhaps low enough not to be sympathetically excited by the acoustic bass. So a pound or two of anything, even a lump of clay, could made a difference. Rope calk (Mortite at HD) comes in a coil. Maybe the lump of the coil could be stuck to the panel, and taped in place.

Would it be possible to run lengths of duct tape from the sides and top and bottom of the cabinet across the back with a moderate amount of tension? That is cheap, not too messy, and reversable. Perhaps the tension enough will be enough.

Maybe a brace made of a 1 x 3 across the back (if it is flat). It could be stuck in place with rope calk for good mechanical contact. Perhaps the placement could be more secure with some duct tape.

I understand the TV is on wheels. If it is in a fixed location near the wall a cardboard box positioned between it and the wall could work.

Forgive me if these are obvious or unworkable. They're kinda off the top of my head and somewhat the product of working in the dark. On the other hand, with the suggestions, maybe something specific to your geometry will come to your mind.

Let us know. If you've got the problem, someone else does too.

Gil

Thanks for your help all!

I had a few minutes of free time before work today and tried a quick fix to the problem. I had a spare piece of MDF about 40" long and 5" wide and duct-taped it to the back of the cabinet with a bit of some rope caulk in between. The part that's vibrating is the width of the tv starting at the top, sloping down about 2 1/2 feet.

Results - Hey it works great! It was not quite the maximum effect because I think one more board would do the trick, but the rattling of the chassis was greatly reduced. The 2 1/2 foot slope could not be completely dampend by the 5" wide MDF which was only a 1/2" thick.

Again, thanks for your responses. I knew someone else on here has had to have had the same problem with all the systems with big screen TV's and BASS that's present.

Oh yeah, the wife still hasn't noticed the KLF-20's. The speakers they replaced were somewhat similar in size, but no near the quality. I just thought I would see how long it takes her to notice.

cwm30.gif