What problems with using salvaged Klipsch sub amp

jon95624

I saw a salvaged "amp panel" from an RW-10 for sale and it got me thinking, could I connect this to two 12" drivers that I have in a cabinet?

Here is some background. I built a passive subwoofer back in 1980 using two high quality 12" drivers that I bought from SpeakerLab. I built a cabinet using high-density particle board with rough dimensions of 18"Hx24"Wx24" deep. I split the cabinet with a board running diagonally(top view) to isolate the two 12" drivers. I had coils wound on 3" diameter torroid cores with 10 gauge copper wire. The result was a decent sounding subwoofer, before most people knew what a subwoofer was.

I learned that I am better off making more money at my job so that I could afford a good Klipsch speaker system. So back to the "amp panel". Any comments on what problems I might across with trying to us that amp when it is not matched to the speakers that I am using?

Hi, I believe that your *only* concerns would be, how the bass drivers are wired(series/parallel?)and the resulting impedence, along with the wattage rating of the plate amp(could be driven to distortion levels even at low volume).

Was the enclosure built with optimal box volume values for the chosen drivers, or just a stab in the dark? More specifics(T/S parameters) on those woofers would be helpful.

Sealed or ported?

Considering that amp was used to drive a single 10" and now you want to show it two 12"s, things could get messy.14.gif

The klipsch plate amps have EQ built into them to flatten out the frequency response of their subwoofers...chances are it won't be a good match to your current drivers.

How much are you looking to spend on a plate amp? There are some very good options at partsexpress that might work better for your particular application (and might be cheaper too):

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&DID=7&WebPage_ID=3&ObjectGroup_ID=505&sm=1&so=2

Thank you for the great replies.

The enclosure is sealed and each speaker has a volume of a little less that 3 cubic feet, with 3 considered the maximum allowable by the SpeakerLab Technical Compendium.

partsexpress looks like a great source for a panel amp and I had no idea that a place like that was out there.