Heresy II missing woofer screws

tonygeno

I just picked up a set of Heresy IIs in excellent shape. They look to be about 15 years old. Serial numbers are 869703 and 869704. Both speakers are missing one screw in each woofer. All the other screws a torqued down very tight. The missing screw hole seems to be filled with foam. Is this normal or should all the screws holes have screws in them? (One would think so but you never know).

Thanks for any help.

----------------

On 1/30/2005 6:31:31 PM tonygeno wrote:

I just picked up a set of Heresy IIs in excellent shape. They look to be about 15 years old. Serial numbers are 869703 and 869704. Both speakers are missing one screw in each woofer. All the other screws a torqued down very tight. The missing screw hole seems to be filled with foam. Is this normal or should all the screws holes have screws in them? (One would think so but you never know).

Thanks for any help.

----------------

Hello,

I have two pair of 1985 Heresy IIs. There's a screw in every hole.

Regards,

Analogman

----------------

On 1/30/2005 6:38:49 PM analogman wrote:

Hello again,

There is a rectangular piece of foam inside the Heresy II, don't know if that's what you are seeing.

Analogman

----------------

Sounds like it might be. I wonder if the holes are stripped? I guess I need to insert a screw to find out. Thanks.

Further investigation shows that whatever is in those holes is hard. At least I know they're not leaking air, so I guess I'll leave well enough along. BTW, based on my serial number, would I be safe to assume that they were manufactured in 1986?

Thanks.

Hello again,

Yours are 1986 models by the numbers you gave. A small drop of carpenter's glue in the hole will "tighten" it up if it is too large (let it dry before putting in your screw). I've found a lot of the holes to be stripped in Heresy IIs (older ones) from over-torque and a thin mounting flange area on the motor board. On average one per driver.

Regards,

Analogman

----------------

On 1/30/2005 7:06:15 PM tonygeno wrote:

Further investigation shows that whatever is in those holes is hard. At least I know they're not leaking air, so I guess I'll leave well enough along. BTW, based on my serial number, would I be safe to assume that they were manufactured in 1986?

Thanks.

----------------

You can use this for future reference:http://home.earthlink.net/~ivol/klipsch_cornwall/klipsch_date_codes.htm

Ninth week of 1986

Maybe a broken screw?

I have three sequential pairs, each minor flaw, whatever it was, (stripped hole etc.) was repeated in both speakers.

Analogman

Thanks, Analogman. Broken screw is defintely a possiblity as it appears that there's metal underneath the foam. I'm not going to worry too much about it. They sure do sound good. I'm thinking of grabbing another 2 pair for a 5 channel setup. I'm thinking about Ebay but very few folks maintained the original boxes, so I'm worried about shipping. I can get a new pair for $800. What do you think?

----------------

On 1/30/2005 8:20:54 PM analogman wrote:

Use an ice pick or similar to check, maybe the hole was never there to begin with. I've got a pair of Heresy that came with only THREE screws and holes for each woofer.

Analogman

----------------

Sounds like a distinct possibility. Each speaker is missing a screw in a different spot. Maybe they were made on a Monday.1.gif

----------------

On 1/30/2005 8:47:24 PM analogman wrote:

If you're able to pick them up, you can buy TWO pair from me for $800.00. I would want you to see them first anyway. I live near San Francisco.

Analogman

----------------

Well, since I live in Plymouth, Mass, that won't be able to happen. 1.gif

I was just visiting San Fran with my family the week between Christmas and New Years. Thanks for the offer.