FrankenScala Update #4

ooteedee

must be a limit to how many pix you can post.

that's it so far.

it's all soldered up...

in phase...

and sounding pretty darn good for what's in it......

And yes...that IS a Radio Shack Mach 2 crossover and L-Pad. ($20 E-bay)

Low end cutoff is 1200hz. So I should probably replace that first.

If you insist on uploading 1600 x 1200 dpi pics you'll load up the server. If you reduce them to 800 x 600, they will be one quarter the size. (then I won't have to scle them to post them in line)

Marvel

It is nice Birch plywood. There ARE a couple of flaws on them. I tried to keep those hidden inside when possible.

However....I will need to be careful. The ply can peel up. Hopefully the coat of Polycrylic I plan to use will stiffen things up a bit. And the edging on the front I plan to do as well.

Yesterday, I saw some really nice 3/4" plywood at Lowes. They have birch and maple or Oak. Can't remember if it was Maple or Oak. Nice, hard stuff. Heavy, too. Expensive but probably worth it. You guys probably all have spare Klipsch parts laying around. If so....go for the expensive wood!

These LaScalas are heavy. So I screwed on some big 2 1/2" casters. Maybe not the most attractive things in the world but it sure makes them mobile. Actually they just look like stage speakers now.

For this project, I bought the wood at Home Depot. On sale for 27.00 a sheet. (It's still at that price. Home Depot probably has regional prices, but some things may be national.)

The plywood was labeled Made In China. Strange...yes. But why not?

They turned out pretty good. They're tight, solid, and should hold together a long time. (Klipsch doesn't use any screws I don't think. I've got a lot. Don't worry, they look good up close.) Had I REALLY taken my time I could have made them super pretty....but squeezing in a minute here...a minute there....inbetween diaper changes, bottle feedings and other things....I got them done pretty fast. Any project you do slow will turn out nice. Just as long as you finish it!

Marvel: I keep forgeting to resize those pictures. I just reduced the quality. Sorry. Thanks again.