Rock and Roll 2-channel suggestion from someone who doesn't listen to much Rock and Roll!

Allan Songer

Moon asked down in General what our favorite Rock album of the 80's was I immediately thought of

only one--Roy Loney and the Phamtom Movers' "Scientific Bombs Away," a great record from one of the founding members of the Flamin' Groovies. Loney seems to make about 1 record every ten years or so, and here's his latest effort. And WHAT an album it is--full tilt rock and roll from a man that's been rockin' the Bay Area for forty years:

B0001XAKB0.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Anyone who likes to move their *** will like this one!

What! Now you're gonna get me hooked on and buyin' off the wall Rock & Roll

records and CDs? Well, I guess if this one will get ya movin' your butt, I'll pick it up and play it for the wife this Saturday Night. Both kids are back in school and the nest is empty!

" Off the wall? " No way!! Simply non-commercialized rock and roll...like it's supposed to be made....The Flamin' Groovies were so far ahead of their time..."The Best of The Groovies"is a great compilation..especially

if you love to test base capabilities of Kipsch speakers. If you step away from the Groovies and want a little harder sound...The New York Dolls have two tremendous albums from the early seventies...and then there is always the epitome of a "rock" album...SO ALONE...by the late Mr. Johnny Thunders....just real music for those who have been exposed!

Thunders' version of "Pipeline" is a classic. And how that addle-pated herion addict ever wrote "You Can't Put Your Arms Around a Memory" I will NEVER know!! Perhaps the most "tender" yet rocking performance I've ever heard. I agree, it's a classic rock and roll album. I still have the copy I bought new--even though I haven't played in over 20 years!

c52613x7551.jpg

wow..I still have all my 70's wax...but I love the convenience of CD's. Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers produced two classic albums...LAMF and LIVE AT MAX'S KANSAS CITY..raw, raunchy rock n' roll...just like it's supposed to be...and when JT or Walter Lure strike a chord or pluck a riff...there's no doubt which band is playing!

I picked up those two Roy Loney CDs and wow, they sure have a lot of flexibility. They can sound , at times, like many other bands but have extensive latitude. I thought I was hearing the Four Seasons on a couple cuts! Now that's only two CDs of listening but for anyone familiar, do you know what I mean? Good R&R for sure.