CNET RC-25 Review

ct1615

"The RC-25's tonal balance is ever so slightly lightweight...We have one caveat: Avoid mating a bright or even slightly harsh receiver with the RC-25, which will highlight that weakness. Our setup involved first-class electronics, and our reference discs sounded awfully good. "

What is a bright receiver?????

For the full article go here

http://reviews.cnet.com/Klipsch_RC_25/4505-7869_7-30582947-2.html?tag=top

I don't agree with their review. I had the opposite experience. I compared the RC25 (in my home) against the Boston Acoustics VRC, CSW MC300 and the Axion 150. I felt that the RC25 had a significant edge in bass response over the VRC and gave weight to vocals...very warm sounding. It also was not as bright as either the VP150 or the VRC. I gave the Klipsch the edge over the other centers based on it's "mid-range" warmth and dialogue inteligibility.

Guest Anonymous

i don't like cnet,

but an example of a bright receiver would be yamaha compared to an hk,

a yamaha reciever is a birghter sound in general than that of hk

as onkyo is brighter than hk as well. hk is a warmer sound.

i don't know if you can call a receiver bright unless you are comparing it to something that is not as bright...

i'm not sure if that makes total sense.

EDIT

Also be sure not to confuse "detailed" sound and brightness they are different!

Thanks for your response Grams. The writer (Steve Guttenburg) does a lot of work for HT magazine and I have enjoyed several of his articles. I just don't understand why you would leave that info out? You would not write a food review like that and state the best way to prepare a chicken kiev in with "good spices". Why are reviewers so scared to call out electronic manufacturers on their products?...yes I know sales $$

It's been said, but let me reiterate that Yahmaha builds bright recievers. I'm sure Yammys sound good on some other speakers, but I'm running a mid-entry level Yahmaha and it sounds pretty harsh in the high notes. Currently upgrading to a serious AVR. Stupid money...

Scott

P.S. I've been told that Denon recievers are a bit bright for Klipsch speakers as well; I haven't owned one, so I don't know, but I thought I'd pass the warning along. Anyone have personal experience?

----------------

On 2/6/2005 5:33:54 PM ottscay wrote:

P.S. I've been told that Denon recievers are a bit bright for Klipsch speakers as well; I haven't owned one, so I don't know, but I thought I'd pass the warning along. Anyone have personal experience?

----------------

I wouldn't call Denon receivers bright at all, in fact if anything Denon tweaks their receivers to sound overly warm an full, and therefore more powerful. Sort of like the old "loudness contour" setting that used to be popular in stero amps and receivers, except with no way to defeat it.

JR