Another web stream question

robertl

Hiya,

I have a 1/8 plug into the earphone/headphone jack on our laptop computer and a RCA cord running to the AUX. on my Fisher 400 reaceiver. Using Time Warner broad band. Well when listening to my favorite radio stations web stream sounds like it's under water ,sounds fair but could sound better. Anything I can do? or do some web streams just sound like their under water?

Cheers,

Robert

that's just the way that they sound...though it wouldn't hurt to check that the software you're using isn't adding any stupid effects and all that.

The best webstreams are generally around 100kb/s whereas the standard MP3 is 128kb/s (both of which sound bad). Webstreaming will need to get up above 500kb/s to actually sound good, but most internet connections (dsl and cable) are only capable of 300kb/s at the most.

The near future should be boasting some insane bandwidth and speeds which will hopefully bring about an increase in webstream quality. For now, you're just going to have to deal with it...perhaps you might try some EQ in the program you're using as well.

A year or two ago, I spent some time trying to find the best way to listen to Internet radio thru my receiver and Cornwalls. Most sound cards are in a very electrically noisy enviroment. My solution was the Pro Hi-FI Link from Xitel.com. $49.95 at the time, $99,95 for the deluxe. Comes with decent cables. USB out of the computer to the Xitel, then cables to an audio input on the receiver. Now i can listen to my perferred jazz stations from all over the county with perfectly acceptable sound.

Thanks..will the Pro HiFi link connect to the RCA aux. input on my Fisher 400 tube receiver? Looking at the HiFi link on Gateway web site,sez it needs a receiver with optical/digital inputs.

I just found a few public radio stations that sound very good on web stream,WKCRW and WKEXP.

Cheers,

Robert