My fair and balanced speaker comparison

ct1615

Ottscay

I dont think you and some other people understand my post and no you counter point posts do not offend me. I brought home Reference speakers that are close to the same size and price as my current Synergy set up. I compared them over several days with a bright and warm receiver. I wanted to see if there was something the Synergy series speakers where missing, they where not compared to the Reference counterparts and in fact sounded better over time. Yes, I could tell the Reference series had a more Dynamic sound but I gave up the warmer sound of the Synergy speakers in order to get it. I did not want to make that trade-off. I also did not find the Dynamic sound to be a night and day difference between the Reference and Synergy series as some people stated. Im sure there are Reference speakers that sound better then the RC-25 & RB-25. I know Yamaha and HK make more expensive and better receivers but I believe the speaker match ups worked well the receivers in terms of price.

On 2/10/2005 9:58:45 AM ct1615 wrote:

...and no you counter point posts do not offend me.

Cool. Just didn't want it to get personal. As for T2K's comment: "The author of this thread offered HIS opinion using the speakers and equipment stated. He didn't ask for your opinion. He certainly didn't suggest that you come along and question his integrity."

I did not question his integrity, I was poking fun at the term "Fair and Balanced." ct1615 said he thought the phrase was funny, and that's fine. Someone else said they like it; these are obviously references to certain social/political institutions that we may or may not like, nothing more. It certainly wasn't questionin anyone's integrity (at lest, no one on the board!). Sheesh, T2K, get over it.

As for asking for our opinions, you are right that ct did not explicitly "ask" for our input. But he did post what I'm sure he knew was a potentially controversial review on a public forum where others who are investigating purchases might read it. And it's good that he did, as his opinion may help someone make a better purchase decision. BUT, since this is a public forum, others with a different opinion posted their experiences. That's how this is supposed to work, so someone reading them can decide for his or her self which of the opinions jives with their own preferences.

Especially for home theater, if you are going to use entry-level recievers (by the way, I'm using an entry-level reciever right now, until my Arcam comes in next week) then many people might prefer Synergy's, or at least not think an rf-15 or 25 system is worth the extra dough. Not everyone, evidently, as someone said he almost changed brands before trying the Reference line. My only concern was that interested parties not generalize

ct's review to higher-end Reference series speakers, which I find fantastic. But even with a $2,000 set of RF-7s, he might not like them as much as his Synergys. I'd have a hard time believing it, but an opinion is an opinion.

I'll post a review of my Arcam avr300 when I get it hooked up and broken in, so let me take this moment to encourage all of you to "share your opinions" as soon as I get it written up. That's what this forum is about.

Scott