Positive/Negative

vandec54

Hello All,

I have one speaker cable running to a rear speaker that is roughly 25 feet in length (it goes around a room). Sitting on my couch watching a movie it dawned on me that I never followed the wire to make sure that positive went to positive and negative went to negative.

What kind of difference would there be if I had it hooked up backwards? What would it sound like?

Thanks for your time and response

If both the rear channels got the same signal, and the polarity was reversed on one speaker, there would be a lack of bass. Rear channel information seldom has low bass, and most people will set the speakers as small in the crossover section of the receiver. I would check to make sure that you have it hooked up correctly, it should not take that long at all.

Speakers would be out of phase. There would be a lack of bass, and the stereo image would not be coherent. You would loose all 3-dimensionality in the soundstage, as well. It's a good idea to purchase a setup DVD...like Avia or the "Sound and Vision" for doing all these checks. Speaker level and phase are among the most important. Can also make sure the sub is in phase with the rest of the system.1.gif