Full RF7 set up-Anubis, The Borg are you out there?

JuHorvath

When you were testing out your set-ups what receievers were you looking at? I am likely going to try and get a set-up similar to you guys but am leaning more towards Marantz then Denon at this point after demoing the Denon 3802 side by side with the 7200 Marantz. I don't believe I will be going 7 channel for awhile so a good 5/6 channel receiver will do the trick. Listened to the Marantz and Denon on Paradigm studio 100's since they are the only Marantz dealer in the state but don't sell Klipsch . cwm36.gif

I've been told the "best" way to go about things is buy the best speakers you can afford by "compromising" and saving some money on the receiver. After demoing these two products, I don't see it as compromising at all! Let me know the experience you went through buying the RF7 series. Also, what is the best price people have seen on the RF7's and from where? My dealer is the only one in the state and will likely try to rape me on price so I need some comparisons to be able to chop the price down.

Juan

This message has been edited by JuHorvath on 08-18-2001 at 09:45 AM

Well, I can't say much for the receiver debate except that I have a Denon 5800 and love it very much. I have never been a big fan of Marantz (sound and look). I do know the 3801 was a very good unit and most people seem to be happy with the new 3802. BUT one thing I need to stress highly is that you need to go by your own ear. I know lots of people who would gladly take a Marantz over a Denon (me being opposite). If your dealer will let you, see if you can take each unit home and demo them in house for a day or two when you get your new ref-7's (or at least one that has a return policy). I will tell you this, your listening preference for the receivers may change after you listen to each on Klipsch instead of Paradigm. Speakers make a BIG difference in the sound. A lot of people say that Denon is a good match for Klipsch. Unfortunately this is the best help I can give you.

As for "compromising", I don't think that a 3802 is a compromise at any means. Its not a 5800, but the 3802 is a damn good receiver (or at least I hear). I personally wanted more in my setup (THX, 2 7.1 Inputs, 170W/Channel, LOTS of inputs, etc) and payed a premium to get all these extra items. You may not need that much and the 3802 could suit your every need. That's fine. Again, I have to say...do what sounds best to you. You are the one that will have to live with it every day.

As for price...the best I have seen is at http://www.sounddistributors.com/ . I bought my speakers from a dealer a few hours away as my local dealer is a a@@hole (doesn't deal no matter how much you buy and is just plain rude). The dealer and I worked out a fantastic deal that made it so I didn't feel like I should buy them off the net to get them at a better price (basically he wasn't raping me on the price). Plus, Sounddistributors is NOT an authorized dealer so I don't think you get the Klipsch warranty. Although, I hear he does uphold the warranty through his store and has been good about it in the past (of course, this is hear-say).

Hope I have helped you enough. Sorry if I wasn't to specific on anything. I just want you to realize that you need to be the final judge on the situation and to not take the opinions of others too strongly. One man's Ford is another man's Ferrari (or something like that).

------------------

---

...transmission terminated...

Anubis

wildfire@kscable.com

This message has been edited by Anubis on 08-18-2001 at 11:48 AM