Center placement

Lutz

Ok so im finally putting together my first "real" HT setup, ive got everything set up where its supposed to be (according to all the information ive gleaned off places like this on the web). The last peice to aquire and set up is the center speaker, from what i understand its optimal to set it up at tweeter level of your mains, my question is if that cant be done and your forced to set it underneath the television how much performance am i losing if any? Thanks for any info

Due to wife constraints that is exactly what I had to do....she wanted an entertainment center, so I crammed the monitor and gear in there. She balked at the center sitting on top of it....so I only had one option. It came with a drawer directly under the television shelf area. Luckily it provided just enough room for my center to fit in there, and I made some "filler" wood blocks from oak and stained them to match, then put them on each side of the center speaker opening. I was able to tilt the center up and tried to back-to-back it with a position on top of the entertainment center, and could discern very little difference so long as the speaker was aimed up to the listening position sweet spot. You gotta do what you gotta do...9.gif

little trick. tape an led pointer to top of center box and aim it at ear level (not a real person please) Measure and build an angled shelf to tip the center toward ear level. Aids in intelligibility by keeping reflections off the floor. If hardwood, place small rug in front of center speaker if it's near the floor.

My KLF-C7 is in stand under my 35" Sony and only 4 inches off the floor, but I've got it angled precisely and don't notice any ill effects from this placement.

I would especially keep away from set-top placement if there's little crawlers around the house. An RC7 to the noggin would really hurt!

Michael

Yeah iAM, you feel my pain, my wife is indeed the reason for the placement of the speaker....and colt i do have 3 little ones so maybe she's smarter than i am(altho personally a little knock on the noggin is a worthy sacrifice to perfect my my speaker settings imo!.....j/k6.gif ) Problem is the cubby hole im fitting it into is a tight fit, not sure i can do the angle but its a sound idea i never thought of so ill work on it....thx for the input