Using Promedia satellites w/ stereo receiver

tbone02

Hello, this is my first post. I have been a longtime promedia user. I have an old 4.1 set. For various reasons I've only been using a 2.1 setup for quite a while now and would like to use my other satellites somehow. My "home entertainment system" is basically nonexistant. It consists of a 25in subpar TV w/o a receiver or speakers external to the tv.

My question is whether it would work to purchase a cheap 2 channel receiver and use it with my 2 extra promedia speakers. If possible, what power ratings should I look for etc. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the Board!

You can use your existing speakers with a cheap receiver however you might find that the low end sound would be non-existant (no sub).

As far as power ratings go, almost anything will do since those cheap 2 channel receivers don't really put out the amount of power they say they do.... And for impedance, I believe you should be fine with anything approx 8 Ohms.

I'm not entirely sure I understand what you are trying to accomplish.

If you decide to use a cheap receiver, you shouldn't worry about power output. Just run the output from the receiver into the input for the Promedia control pod. You will be using your Klipsch amplifiers.

You can use the headphone jack on the receiver, or the preamp outs if it has 'em. Supposedly, the headphone signal is the same voltage as the speaker outs, so you can just run from the speaker outs into the control pod. I have not tried this, however.

My setup right now is a Teac MC-D77 mini CD receiver ($50, ebay) with the Promedias plugged into the headphone jack. Small, sounds good, cheap.

If you have a DVD player or TV, you could just run the output of the TV or DVD directly into the Promedias. You will no doubt need one or more adaptors to get it to work, but that might be the cheapest option.

Oh, I see what you are wanting to do now. You want to power an extra set of sattelites.

Yes, use a small receiver. You probably don't need much power - maybe one of those little tiny Realistic 20W stereo amps would fill the bill.