Klipsch Surround System With Comcast

gaspower

Hello,

I have a question about setting up my Klipsch surround system with Comcast. I just purchased a Klipsch system with a KSW-10 sub, but I notice that the green light on it is not always on when it should be. If I am informed correctly, the green light means that the sub is getting signal that the system is showing at least some sort of surround sound, but I notice when I view a DVD the light is green and it seems to be working, but when I view a HBO show in dolby 5.1 through the Comcast DVR box the light is red. I am using a Pioneer Elite VSX-54TX receiver. Can someone tell me where to diagnose the problem.

Thanks JR

Try turning up the volume on the receiver for a few seconds and the sub will probably kick on. The sensitivity on the "auto on" circuits for many subs are pretty lousy IMO. If this doesn't work, possibly you have your speaker settings set to large, and therefore your sub is not receiving a signal when on cable? I doubt it, but it's possible. What are your speakers, and what is your avr? What mode are you in with cable? Do you have it set to stereo, surround, what?

after complaining and waiting many months for a cable box with digital audio (optical and digi. coax) output, i've noticed that comcast broadcasts very few channels in true DD5.1 in my area. it really pissed me off. only 2 of my HBOs are really capable of it and only 2 of my SHOs, and even then, not all the material broadcast on those channels comes across as DD5.1. all the rest are broadcast in DD2.0 (at best) which my auto-detecting receiver is then setup to process for surround as Dolby ProLogicII.

make certain that the channels you are trying are truly being broadcast in DD5.1. my cable box's on-screen display (remote's INFO button) will tell me when it's DD5.1, as well as my receiver, since it's set up to auto-detect.

I don't have Comcast, but I have Dishnetwork and this seems to be the case for them as well. I have two boxes: my HD box (in my living room), and a regular one (in the bedroom). The HD box is the only one that gets Dolby 5.1 if it's broadcast. In my bedroom it may say it's broadcast as that, but it only come in DD 2 channel. My neighbor and I were just complaining about this same thing the other day!

----------------

On 3/5/2005 12:19:03 PM kc0433 wrote:

I don't have Comcast, but I have Dishnetwork and this seems to be the case for them as well. I have two boxes: my HD box (in my living room), and a regular one (in the bedroom). The HD box is the only one that gets Dolby 5.1 if it's broadcast. In my bedroom it may say it's broadcast as that, but it only come in DD 2 channel. My neighbor and I were just complaining about this same thing the other day!

----------------

hmmm. interesting. maybe it's not the cable/satellite providers who control this, but the networks/movie channels themselves. if that's so, that sucks.

----------------

On 3/5/2005 1:59:11 PM sivadselim wrote:

----------------

On 3/5/2005 12:19:03 PM kc0433 wrote:

----------------

hmmm. interesting. maybe it's not the cable/satellite providers who control this, but the networks/movie channels themselves. if that's so, that sucks.

----------------

All of the channels may or may not be provided to the cable system in true DD5.1. It is the cable provider's job to fit as much information through one signal as possible...this means only a partial number of channels will have DD5.1. Their bandwidth is not unlimited. Digital cable means all of the channels (digital and analog) are digitized then compressed to pass through the system in the same amount of space that normal cable occupies.

In short, there's no problem. Some channels are DD5.1 and some aren't. I tend to prefer Cox over Comcast to begin with, so you may get better performance with them if you have a choice and want to look into it. Nothing we can do about the rest except use Pro Logic II.

I was thinking it was a bandwidth issue as well. On a side note, I have Insight cable, and the other day I was watching 'Finding Nemo' on the Encore channel and they actually had it broadcast in 6.1 DD. I was pleaseantly surprised. I still can't get over the mixing that was done for a cartoon. Unbelievable. 1.gif

You will notice, if your receiver can auto sense DD signal, that it will decode in DD on almost every channel... That's not to say that it is putting out a true DD signal, but it is decoding stereo in to 5.1, to the best of its ability.... Beats listening to it in stereo, any day !!

----------------

On 3/5/2005 8:40:02 PM Agent Eagle wrote:

You will notice, if your receiver can auto sense DD signal, that it will decode in DD on almost every channel... That's not to say that it is putting out a true DD signal, but it is decoding stereo in to 5.1, to the best of its ability.... Beats listening to it in stereo, any day !!

----------------

yeah, my receiver auto-detects. and it switches to DolbyPLII if it senses only 2 channels of input when set to "TV" (as i've set it up to do), and processes it into quasi-5.1. and if it senses a true DD5.1 broadcast, it then switches to DD5.1. DD5.1 isn't a choice with only 2 channels of input.