Xman's tubes and Elydaman's Khorns Sunday session

Elydaman

This post is from Elydaman, who was lucky enough to play host to Xman's tube amp and collection of sweet multi and 2 channel recordings.

If you can remember, I have been asking just what advantage tube amps give Khorns....several posts to the question. After demo of many different types of music, and Xman has some really great tunes..we decided to hook up his amp to the left and right Khorns.

I have been running a Sony TAE9000 pre into a ATI 1505 to power everything in my theater. What I heard from these tubes was best descirbed as a more "open, live, spacious soundstage" I did not hear any "more" music, just the music did not seem as "compact" as the ATI. What I was afraid of was that the "tube" would not be able to give me the "punch" that a great solid state 150watt amp could deliver.....the Khorns showed that a 35W tube would rock just as well....or better than SS.

NOW I AM IN A JAM.....to make the Tube jump....with only 10,000 choices....which tube. Give me any advice you can!

Thanks to the Xman for making the drive, and willing to unhook his beautiful amp and bring it for me to demo....that's a Klipsch purest!

I want to thank Elydaman and his wife for having me over on Sunday to hear his KHorns they were incredible!! Elydaman has a gorgeous house in the hill country here in Texas that made comming back to my little 1100 square foot house just not the same. Also watching Blade 2 on his 100 inch projection screen also makes watching movies on my 34 inch sony just not the same anymore either!

The first thing you notice when walking into Elydaman's beautiful home theater room is the KHORNS. Just seeing them gives a feeling of immense power and that is exactly what they did! They put out a wave of sound that envelops you and slams you back in your seat and gives you the feeling of the band playing live in front of you. The main difference between the KHorns and the La Scalas is how the KHorns uses it's larger bass horn with the walls to give a sound that is fuller than the La Scalas. With the addition of a Klipsch 15 subwoofer(I think it was the RSW 15) which blended in perfectly with the KHorns it had the whole room shaking!! I have some DVDaudio discs in DTS that sounded incredible on his system!! The C7 is a excellent center channel to use with the KHorns and La Scalas and Elydaman's 5 channel SS amp matched the sound of the C7 center to the KHorns where I could not tell the difference.

We then switched in my Cayin TA 30 int tube amp and fired it up. The biggest diference between the two amps is the tube amp gave the sound a fuller body and the midrange and tweeter was a bit smoother. The SS 5 channel amp was a little more detailed and it had better bass. The 35 watt tube amp did not have any trouble driving the KHorns to the same level of sound that the 5 channel amp did.

I think this helped Elydaman to hear the difference and make the decesion to get some tube monoblocks but now the real fun part begins-which ones to buy?

Thanks again Elydaman for having me over had a blast!

Xman