Question for BEC

i was wondering about the various woofers used , Bob

since you have reconed the various CTS ...(Bleech)..., Eminence, and EV drivers used ...

given the Klipsch philosophy of minimal cone excursion, do any of the drivers have other than an overhung voice coil ??

my Forte 2 woofers seem to move quite a lot more than say, my what K-48 M.I. driver in the Chorus 2's does

they, the F2 drivers, i would hope, were constructed differently ...

Really have only done one woofer, a K-33E. Plan to do more of them in the future but have to find more room to set up a re-cone bench. My assorted audio stuff I have collected has about run me out of my current shop. I have 19 genuine Klipsch re-cone kits and a bunch of bad woofers lying around ready to be resurrected. I am far from an expert on what differences there may be in the ones you mentioned.

Bob Crites

BSA---I dunno, CTS made some decent drivers. Back in the 70s I made a pair of Hoge's big subs as described in his article in Audio. 15" CTS and a 12 cubic foot vented box. Things dug down into the lower 20s with great authority and with efficiency in the high 90s. And no EQ needed like with today's midget 15" subs.

12 cu. ft. ......!

now theres a big box ....

bears out the "high efficiency, bass exstention, power handling" thing too, doesn't it..

CTS ...not really known for making great speakers in my youth

any guitar amp purchased, donated it's CTS, or Oxford immediately to the scrap pile

some of the Eminence speaks weren't too bad

nothing like Altec, EV, jBL

the CTS speak's as a rule use overhung voice coils ...

this creates more power handling due to the coil having part out of the magnetic gap all the time

it also makes for an ineficcient, very Non-Linear speak ....14.gif

BSA,

In a Cornwall, the VC in a K-33E will be completely out of the magnet gap at a bit over 120 db. In fact, it goes so far out that it may not find its way back. Makes quite a mess when that happens.

Bob