switchin' and clippin'

samuel r

sr, maybe someone has a better tech explanation but most receivers should have a function that mutes the signal to the outputs when switching. i found this out

when the switching mute on the sub out of my marantz broke & whenever i switched anything the velo rumbled the room.

as far as doing switching at high volume i'd think that

this or maybe other circuitry would somewhat buffer the

output for a smoother transition than just a simple off/on circuit.

I think the question shows a remarkably intuitive appreciation of the "step function."

It assumes that the speaker, switched off, is at zero DC. Then, the switch is closed while there is a strong and relatively long lasting "high" condition from a bass note.

This step looks like the steep slope of a high frequecy input.

This is sort of similar to connecting a battery to the tweeter. We hear a scratching noise from it, even though we know the DC battery does not produce a high frequency signal. The step, though, is a short lived equivalent.

My conculusion is that any high frequency component of the "switch on" is very short lived. As short as the step. Tweeters can absorb very high power over a very short time. But 1 watt continuous can fry them. Nothing long term here.

In short, I think Sam is correct to suspect some energy is being transferred. However, the "step" has a very short duration and should not be a problem. Particularly if you don't hear a "pop" from the tweeter.

Gil