Klipsch KG4 - New Owner, New Experience

dorokusai

Hello Klipsch forum :) I am a new convert to your home since I picked up a pair of KG4's from a very good friend. The last time I spent any time with this manufacturer was in high school. I recall the speaker being a KG2 with a Nakamichi front and back end that was very high end at that time. It was at a party, and I just remember them being incredibly loud, bass in spades and of course perfect for the occasion.

Over the years I've heard a few of other models which I don't recall at the moment, but they eventually became too shrill for my tastes, even when driven with high end gear. Horn loaded tweeters have never really been a favorite of mine. My speaker collection contains Dahlquist DQ9 & 10, ADS L570 & L730, Polk Audio (MANY), B&W P5 & DM1400, Mission Argonaut, Magnapan MMG and a couple other goodies....obviously I'm an addict, please light a candle for me.

It was recently that I have read on my home forum, Polk Audio, about the K sounding stellar on tubes....so the quest began. I thought it might be unfair to continue to not like a speaker, without taking the time to play with them in my own enviroment.

(CONT)

I have been into tube pre-amps for the last year or so, and have built my current 2CH rig in baby steps over the last few years. I love a tube/SS combination but will eventually check out a SET amp to have fun with since I have a couple high efficiency speakers that could benefit.

My first listening session was very enjoyable, and it turned into a lengthy session....with nice cold drinks to help calm my excitement. Very detailed, punchy bass and much warmer than my earlier impressions. I will attribute the warmth to my tubes, as that is why I got into them in the first place. It was still easily loud, but tamed simply by volume, and the fact that it's not about how loud anymore as I am older....and wiser? ...maybe not the wiser part, but you know what I mean.

I'm real happy to own these, and will play some more on the more challenging material in particular vocals and acoustics.

This looks like a very well put together forum, and the layout is quite nice. If you guys ever want to travel over to my home forum, c'mon down, as we have a great crew over there as well.

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum

Thanks for your time reading, and I look forward to particpating over here.

*Sorry for the double post, but the preview seemed to be cutting off part of my body.