Separate sub with RP-5's

Rick Maurice

Texts>Newbie to HT. Have RP-5's, RC-3, RS-3's, Marantz SR7000, Pioneer Elite DV-09. RP's are only connected via monster cable to binding posts. Not sure about LFE hookup?? Room is 14X20 with vaulted ceilings.I love the current sound, but would like some added punch. Can an extra sub be added? If so, any suggestions and how to connect.

Thanks!

Rick,I have checked out the RP-5's before but don't remember much about them.The RP-5's should have a low level(RCA)input and possibly an output.You could run an

RCA low level cable to your RP-5's and your sub.If they have inputs and outputs you may try coming out of your receiver sub output to your left front RP-5 input,

from the left front RP-5 output to your right front RP-5 input,from the right front RP-5 output to your sub input(daisy-chain).Remove the jumper straps and run speaker wire to the hi's binding post.Set your front speakers to small and the bass will be fed to your RP-5's via the low level cable's.Adjust crossover to taste.

My powered towers cross over at 80hz which is exactly where the receiver crossover is set at.Works fine.Hope this helps.

Keith

i agree w/ keith on that hook-up but add when i had the rp-5 i used their lfe inputs from the sub out & left the high & low posts wired together. the lfe in are really just unfiltered inputs & best to connect to the receiver sub outs which are filtered.

another reason to have the high & low posts connected together is that the rp-5 crossover is at 90hz so that way u won't leave a gap as most likely the receiver has a fixed filter/crossover point of 80hz. of course if the receiver has an adjustable crossover then u could set that at 90hz or higher & take off the rp straps w/ no loss.

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect/Monster MCX-2 biwire & Z1 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 digital cable box

Monster HTS1000 PowerCenter

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3, RC-3

Monster MCX-1 Biwire

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

rock on!

Many thanks Keith and Boa12. You've both helped in the education of a fairly hopeless case of stereo klutz. When someone at the electronics store said to bi-wire my speakers, I asked him how much the wire would cost!If it weren't for the schematics I'd be watching a blank screen, well almost (had my son hook up my equipment). Your suggestions sound straightforward so I'll give it a try. Thanks again.