Receiver For Herseys

hach13

never saw reco for Panny here before, older members though are thrilled about vintge HK:

The 70s vintage harmon/kardon 430, 630, 730, and 930 models were twin-powered, with dual transformers. The original line-up consisted of 630 and 930, the 430 and 730 added in 1976 model year, but 630 was dropped at the same time.

With super-sensitive big ole horns, all you need is a handful of quality watts. At lower volumes, the more typical, single-transformer 330s are still quite excellent. The twin-powered versions dont bog down when playing complex passages at higher volumes...clipping with big ole horns is unlikely, except at LOUD volumes in large rooms.

My 330B is NOT twin powered, however it sounds much better than the few other new solid-state receivers I have heard on big ole horns, including the amazing Pass X250.

Value

Half a dozen HK 430 on eBay last year average about $51, which is a darn two-channel steal for what these can do with big ole horns! Shipping is about $20 bucks. So far, four 730 models averaged $105, though shipping often adds $30-45. Cleaning can be as little as a few squirts of contact spray, but refurbishing can add up to $125.

The original harmon/kardon single-transformer 330 receiver became the 330A, followed by an upgrade called the 330B, followed by the 330C, which came into the H/K line-up the same year the 430 and 730 entered...1976. Harmon/kardon receivers are tested with a full spectrum sound to both channels where most others are tested with a 1kHZ test tone to one channel only. Power output to one channel with one tone is going to look higher, but not sound better.

From the 330C manual

Power output: 20 watts minimum RMS per channel, both channels driven into 8-ohms from 20Hz to 20kHz, with less than 0.5% THD

Power Bandwidth: 10Hz to 37kHz at 0.5% THD into 8-ohms, both channels driven simultaneously at 10 watts per channel.

Audio giant harmon/kardon has the most accurate specs in the industry. In fact, in a recent study of name brand receivers, they were the only manufacturer whose amplifiers show higher output at clipping than their stated ratings! The more sensitive your loudspeakers, the better the vintage harmon/kardon solid-state receivers will sound.

6.gif

• 10 months later...

Colin,

I picked up nice oiled oak Forte II's for $475. Now for a new power source.

Looking at a Sunsui AU-717 Amp/Preamp in the $300 range

The other option is a nice HK630 that appears very clean that will likely go for $200 or less.

I'm not to concerned about not having a tuner with the Sansui.

Any suggestions would be appreciated -

Thanks

Hach13

Try the Panasonic SA-XR50. Great sound, powers the Heresys to perfection and costs around $250 new.

You like the sound of the panny with the Klipsch? Have you heard it with any of the other heritage line?

I am thinking of getting a pair of cornwalls or fortes, and I have the panny sa-xr55. Any input would be appreciated.

hach13--If you go the panny route, you might want to get the sa-xr55--$229 at amazon--you can read about it at avsforum.com in the huge thread there. Sounds great, has real binding posts for all seven channels, uses the other amps in the receiver to dual amp the speaker in stereo mode--however, I have never heard it with the heritage line. You might also want to wait a month or two for the xr57 to come out, which will add HDMI to the mix.