Diaphram Kits sold by Klipsch

Tomski

Hello to all!

Just to let you all know there are many replacement diaphram kits available from Klipsch. These are the horn #s.

This info was taken from their diaphram replacement instructions sheet.

Squaker:K-53-K K-58-K K-61-K

K-57-K K-59-K K-62-K

K-52-K K-52H-K

Tweeter:K-71-H K-74-K K-79-K K-82-K

K-72-K K-75-K K-80-K K-83-K

K-72-K K-76-K K-81-K

I ordered 2 replacement diaphrams for the K-79-Ks tweeters and one set for the K-57-Ks and it only took 3 days to be delivered.

For two tweeter diaphrams it was $35.90 and one K-57-K(K-53-K kit)mid was $37.26 very reasonable I thought!

Installation is very easy to do! I dont really have any before and after comparisons to give you (cornwall 2s)but having owned a pair of 83 corns for 20+ years I must say that these sound just as good if not better!

I love the improved extension of the tweeters and they match very well with my 83s3.gif

Tom

ell I kne I ould make at least one typo.

I ill try to spell check all the ords in my next post/reply.

Hey ait a minute,I think im having a problem ith my keyboard it doesnt seem to type the letter

Thanks for bringing this problem to my attention.

Tom

A guitarist friend of mine was over the other day and we were discussing the old days building stuff. Came round to speaker repair and mentioned my K57-K53 scenario. He reiterated what I thought I had remembered. To send a LOW LEVEL TEST TONE of 1kHz through any driver while tightening the assembly after diaphram replacment. This was taught to us both by a local speaker repair tech. It helps center the voice coil in the gap. Just plopping the diaphram in, hooking it up and playing it is not sufficient.

If a tone generator is not available, a computer or keyboard can be utilized to generate the tone.

THis makes a lot of sense, wonder if others have heard of this, do it, or agree. Just plopping the diaphram in, hooking it up and playing it is not sufficient.

Thanks,

Michael

Ya know (MN)on their replacement diaphram instructions sheet Michael it doesnt say anything about using a 1khz tone.The squawker(;)] K57-K has 2 location pins on the magnet stucture, then there is a gasket with 6 holes 2 are for the location pins and 4 holes are for the screws for the horn flange and of course the large center hole is for the coil/diaphram assembly.

The coil/diaphram assembly sits on top of the gasket and under the horn flange. the C/D also has 6 holes in it again 2 for the location pins and 4 for the horn flange screws.

So it appears that as long as the C/D assembly is lined up with the location pins it,like you say it just drops in.

The tweeter diaphram assembly is the same "drop in"style with attention paid to keeping the same angle on the +and- leads (K-79-K tweeter with the K-72-K replacement diaphram)

I believe there are 6 holes in the tweeter C/D. 3 of which you wont use.

One other item is to check for debris in the magnetic gap,If there is any debris,Klipsch says to use masking tape to clean it out.

So unless one of the guys/gurus that work on these suggests it(1khz tone)Im going to assume its not required.

Also Hardhead just kidding around.

Thumplestiltskin I owe you a long overdue Thank You! for the heads up on the "klitsch" cornwalls in Richfeild, MN.

I didnt pay the $800 the guy asking,but I still probably paid too much.

The Corns looked like any band speakers that had been on tour for several years 15.gif I cant understand how anyone could treat their gear in such a destructive manner! Picture if you will,driving down a class5 road at 50mph and then pushing them off the tailgate.

Not a very pleasant thought!!

They were painted with black satin but were oiled oak under the paint.

I used every bit of the small tube of wood putty repairing all the corners and sides.

I finished the first one with decent results,but apon sanding the second speaker I was bummed out to find 2 LARGE cigarrette burns on the top of the speaker (torpedo shape not circles) Aarrgg!!

I had to chip out the oak veneer and fill it with woodputty and then try to get the stain to take,which is not an easy task to do.

I am satisfied with them now but reveneering would have been easier.

So all I can say now is buyer beware! Its funny how my first instinct should have been run away as fast as possible,But that greedy bassturd in the back of my mind said"His misfortune is going to be my gain and you can fix these no problem"

IB Slammin bought the K-horns and knows how bad the corns looked in person,but he probably wouldnt recognize these now. Hopefully his K-horns are up and running now.

Tom

Tom:

I was the one that bought the "Klitch" K-horns that were located in Richfield.

Yes, those Cornwalls were in rough shape and knew they needed alot of work so that why I passed on them.

As for the K-horns, it would have been a better deal if the woofers were not rotted out, but still got them at a good price. New replacements from BEC got me running again.

There is some veneer damage but all in all the corners are good and with a little stripping and re-oiling they will look very presentable until I get the funds to reveneer.

I would like to see some after pictures of those Cornwalls, Tom.

JJ

Now my 86 corns are finished with risers modeled after my 83s

After I installed all the speakers and Xovers I was thinking about what iceman(frzn) said in respect to the lack of dampening inside the CW2s.

I started knocking on cabinets to hear the thud sound and

the difference between the 83s and 86s when I noticed one of the 86s tweeter and mids was cutting in and out.Arrgggg.

So I checked the all the wires from the Xover to the speakers and noticed if I move the wire right at the tweeter + and - leads it would short open.

As I monkeyed with the + and - leads I must have broke one of the small wires going to the + or - tabs.

3 days later I had the new replacements,since the tweeter diaphrams were cheap I replaced both of them.

OK so I should be all set right? NOPE

I put all the new parts in and gave the speaker a couple of good thumps on the top of the speaker,HMMMM same thing a open on the tweeter and mid.ARRRRGGGGG

Now with the Xovers out of the box I noticed that it had some loose solder connections.I could slide the wires through the solder bead.

I removed the old solder and now thought how am i going to solder this and not have a big glob of solder at the point of connection. Much to my surprise I was able to make it look as good as the others with no globs of solder.

Thumple did I allready thank you HHHHHHMMMMM

JK TOM And yes they are WORKING now!!!!!!!!

Hey Double J-I wonder If I could hire his maid1.gif I had to carry them by myself around all the piles of "stuff"

The guy was telling me about how good the corns sound was so I told him I had owned a pair for many years and was very familar with them,and he kept on telling me about the corns,2 more times i said I was a longtime corns owner,but he kept on telling me how good the sound was so I just gave up! The funny thing is he was knew alot about Klipsch speakers

He also claimed they were never driven very loud but when his daughter held the door open for me,she said"You wouldnt believe how loud those can get" I think I was hellbent on buying them before I left my house,oh well they sound good now.

Edit: As soon as i get a digital camera I will take pics of my setup,I also redid my walnut 83s- they were in very good shape to begin with and the end results were excellent.

Tom

----------------

On 3/11/2005 7:20:57 PM Tomski wrote:

I wonder If I could hire his maid

============

Funny you mentioned that..I thought I was in a scene from Cops, you know where they show the inside of garbage houses.

Lucky for me, I only had negotiate the obstacle course carrying a top section of one of the K-horns.

You sure could tell they are/were strapped for cash, so hopefully it didn't go up in smoke, and I'm not talking about the legal kind of smoke.

I look at it as I rescued a pair K-horns from a bad situation and now they are in a better place. [smile>

JJ

Double J I felt the same way-giving new life to a speaker and a good home.

Ditto on the cops scene,I think Klipsch needs to do a more

thorough background check before selling a pair of our preferred brand.

JK you hate to see someone having troubles and then having to sell off all their gear, I cant imagine how bad that would make me feel.

Tom

P.S. DoubleJ I sent you a PM

----------------

On 3/11/2005 6:58:52 PM Tomski wrote:

Thumple did I allready thank you HHHHHHMMMMM

JK TOM And yes they are WORKING now!!!!!!!!

----------------

Hi Tom. I'd wondered about the fate of those Cornwalls.....didn't know you had bought them. It's funny to hear about their "living conditions". I talked to the owner on the phone at about 11am on Superbowl Sunday and he was already trashed.

JJ, I don't think the money went up in "smoke". Nothing I ever smoked made me slurr like a drunk and talk in circles the way this cat did.14.gif

Congratulations to both of you on your "new" Klitsch speakers. 9.gif