Cheapest Bass traps

colterphoto1

So i've got this basement, see. Concrete block walls, concrete floor, plaster finished ceiling. My workout room and photo studio are situated there as is a small stereo (old Yammie HT receiver and RB3's). It sounds horrid! As I just moved, have lots of packing materials around, fact is I bought in quantity since I use it for my business. I've got like 4 x 3' dia rolls of bubble wrap and same of thin foam for wrapping frames.

Stacked the whole bunch in the corner (where two long legs of 'L' shaped main room meet) and INSTANT BASS TRAP. Still some HF room reflections which I'll tame with a couple of well placed curtains made of old photo canvas backdrops. The difference is astounding. THink of a Lenrd trap 3' deep, floor to ceiling! I previously had two rolls of building insulation piled there and thought, more is better, right?

Why wouldn't it be possible (or is it) to take some heavy upholstery foam, cut some 'V' grooves in the back (like Lenrd) and glue them in corners? I know my el cheapo system lacks the accuracy of the purpose-made traps, but I think I've heard Artto and others say that what we're trying to attain is BROAD-BAND absorbtion and reflection, that it's impossible or impractical to tame certain frequencies.

How 'bout it gang? Anybody else try anything like this?

Michael

Michael,

If you haven't already, check out these two long threads at AVS forum. Lots to learn there.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=255432

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=499443

If that is not enough, do a search at AVS on "bass traps" it will bring up several more. Big topic over there...9.gif

Hope this helps.

Brad

• 2 months later...

You might consider buying a purpose built absorber, as the foam that is used has a fairly consistent absorbtion co-efficient. Failing that, you could purchase Owens-Corning Fr705 rigid fibreglass insulation, or Roxul RXL-40 insulation. The Roxul is quite a bit cheaper than what Artto paid for the Owens-Corning, and as good or better.

You could also add some simple diffusors, similar in design to the polycylinders that PWK used. But where to start? How much money do you want to invest in treating the room? It would be best if you could get a professional opinion / evaluation and a set of plans to adhere to.