Slightly OT - High tech slide rule watch

maxg

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/watches/74ce/

t6-watch.jpg

"Most geeks have probably heard legends about "the good old days" down in the mathematical trenches doing battle against physics equations armed with only a pencil and their trusty slide rule. But in case you aren't familiar with these stories, the slide rule is a simple but elegant mechanical calculator that can be used for rapid, approximate scientific and engineering calculations. By the 1970s it was made obsolete for most purposes by the electronic calculator. In some ways this is unfortunate, since electronic calculators simply produce a number and remove the user from the sense of scale and precision of calculation that comes from using a slide rule.

This watch from Torgoen will allow you to step back in time a little bit. Featuring a circular slide rule that can solve time, distance and speed equations, it can also perform a wide variety of calculations. These include currency conversions, multiplication and division and any conversion of a linear nature such as ounces to grams, kilograms to pounds, miles to kilometers, etc.

Also has these features.

Rotating slide rule can be used for calculations

Useful for units of measure conversions and multiplication/division problems

Can also be used to calculate time, distance and speed

Has an additional hand completing a full circle once every 24 hours that denotes a different time zone (including Zulu Time i.e. GMT)

Non-radioactive long lasting luminescence

High quality Swiss movement

Rotating internal bezel system

Water Resistant to 10 ATM (330 feet)

Date indicator

Leather band

Stainless steel case

Mineral crystal

Instructions for using the slide rule "

Not for the over 50 crowd.15.gif

But wait! We are the last generation which learned on slap sticks.3.gif

I can still remember doing polar radiation problems and "J" factor quadratic equations taking the FCC License tests with my trusty Pickett.

Where are my glasses?4.gif