Shielding issue with Putting a TV on top of a Heresy?

dwightmarshall

I took everyones advice.. and bought a pair of heresy speakers on ebay to use one as a center..

Can I put a TV on top of the speaker is there going to be a problem with shielding? can I put something in between them that would help?

Also.. I'll have a extra Heresy for sale.. if you are interested.. email me.. thanks Dwight

The type of TV makes a difference. An ordinary CRT will almost certainly have issues -- mine did with the Heresies besied it -- while an RPTV probably won't. Weight will probably be an issue on an RPTV, so you'll either need to distribute the weight of the speaker evenly across the top of the set or (even better) put the speaker on a shelf or wall-mount.

Congrats on your new Heresies. What will you use for surrounds?

Ok. but I wanted to put the TV on The Heresy.. not the other way around.. it's a crt..

I have two heresy's for front surrounds.. and I'm not sure what i'm going to use for the rear yet.. it won't be Heresy's though.. I don't have enough room..

I think I will just try the three speaker system for awhile..

I saw some inexpensive cherry polks.. that i might pick up for temporary rears.. they are on ebay..

anyway.. can I put something in between the TV and the Speaker? what is a shield anyway? is it something solid? or is it mechanical?

Shielding a speaker is done at the primary magnet itself with another magnet. You can't do this yourself, and nothing between the speaker and TV will work. Maybe its time to upgrade your TV to a DLP/LCD RPTV or a front projector.

Sorry Dwight, I got that part backwards. From a shielding perspective the only thing that matters is distance. TV on top or speaker on top makes no difference. You're likely to see all kinds of Northern Lights type of phenomena on the bottom of your screen with an unshielded Heresy within a couple feet of it. You can probably get a bucking magnet from Klipsch.

it's really called a bucking magnet? or were you being polite? I'll look into it.. if someone has a good idea how to position a Heresy as a center.. I would love to see it.. will it sound ok if it's layin on it's side? I was thinking under the Tv as a Stand would be ok.. cinder block---- heresy---- TV

some help would be greatly appreciated..

Does anyone ever use two speakers as a center? could that be done?

Yes, it's really called a bucking magnet. You attach it to the back of the bucking woofer.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

It ought to be fine on its side. THe best position is the one that fits and looks and sounds good to you. Avoid using two -- nasty comb filtering results.

Not sure about the Heresy, but I had a 20" MGA sitting on top of one of my Cornwalls for about 10 years - and I mean right on top - and never had any problem. Of course if the Cornwall was upside down and the crt was closer to the woofer magnet it might have been a different story.

When I moved the same TV into the bedroom and placed a tiny Boston Acoustics (about a 5" woofer, I think) on the top right corner there was an immediate blue/greenish blur/distortion in that corner of the picture. Went away when I removed the speaker.

It's a function of the strength of the magnetic field and the distance from the crt.

James

thanks guys.. Well my speakers are being picked up in Texas by a friend of mine on friday.. So Saturday I'll be setting up my first home theater... 3 Heresys up front.. with a denon 1800 receiver.. I know it's a old receiver.. but I'm on a budget..

the last question.. is.. are the rears as important as the front surrounds? there is no way I could get more Heresy's in my living room behind me.. could they fire at me from the sides..

I would rather get a small pair of speakers for rear.. is that really stupid? I guess I'll try it for a few days.. with just the front speakers.. then I'll borrow a pair of something else to put at the rear.. just to see what I'm dealing with.. thanks for helping a Total Noob.. Dwight New Orleans

Ok.. well some research online answered my last question.. and I'm guessing you guys are going to tell me to go buy another pair of Heresys... for the rear.. ?

Most experts agree that one ideal place for your surround speakers is on the side walls of your home theater room, either in line with, or just behind, your listening position (see figure A below). Side-mounted surround speakers should be placed high enough so that the drivers do not fire directly at your ears when you're sitting down one rule of thumb is to place them at ear level while standing.

• 2 weeks later...

Well .. my 2nd set of Heresy's arrived as well as my Oak Kv-2 Center.. I tried the Heresy as the center with Heresy's on either side for front left and right.. and it sounded amazing.. but the Heresy too close to my TV caused some problems .. rainbows and the like.. it was way too big to put on top of the tv.. If I could mount it in my Chimney so that it didnt stick out it might be a possiblility.. then I set up my 4 heresy's as surrounds.. with the KV-2 Center .. The KV-2 isn't quite as crisp as the Heresy.. but I can definitely live with it.. until I can afford a KLF-C7.. or even find one for sale...

The Next thing I did.. was Hook the Subwoofer from my Promedia 2.1's up to my Denon AvR.. I needed to get a adapter from Radio Shack.. for $3.00 .. Unplugged the satellites.. so no sound went to them.. and Voila! I have a ok subwoofer for almost no money.. with the Heresy's .. it seems like plenty of sub. although i'm not sure the sound coming out could be considered musical... but it shakes the floor a little..

A little late to this thread, so no need in telling you my experience with using a Heresy on top or below a CRT TV seeings how you've discovered for yourself what happens.1.gif

As for the KV-2, I had a KV-3 that I used for a while and it was (barely)tolerable. Sold it the first chance I got. Bought an RC3. That too turned out to be a not-so-hot match. So, I did what anyone would do - I bought a pair of vertical horn Cornwalls, bought a single used Heresy II for a center and used my other Heresy's for surrounds. Problem solved. 16.gif

Tom

I'm now using four Heresys with the center set to phantom. It's working well enough for now. I find that in my room I give up more with a mismatched center than with no center at all. It may or may not work for you, but there's only one way to find out. 1.gif

I just tried it your way .... But maybe my fronts are too far apart.. how far apart are yours when you have no center? Mine are 5 feet from each side of the Television.. and the KV-2 sounds far better than that set up.. to me.. I still never use surround when listening to Lp's.. or the tuner.. Should I try it with the Heresy's a foot from the TV? I guess I'll do that now..