Question re silkscreening on audio equipment...

BillH2121

Does "silkscreening" refer to the entire faceplate or only the lettering applied to the faceplate. Particularly, I am referring to McIntosh equipment and whether "bubbling" is considered a defect in the silkscreening. I've always thought that silkscreening was the lettering applied to glass faceplate, not the black background. Can anyone provide some guidance here?

Those glass Mac faceplates are kind of strange. To me, it looks like the white lettering is silkscreened on the back side of clear glass. Then the whole back side gets coated with a black paint of some sort. The bubbles in the black are repairable as long as they are not near any lettering. But if it gets into the lettering, I think you can forget about it.

There is a forum member right now who is going to attempt re-silkscreening the bottom plate on a Mac C11 of mine. This is an easier task since it is just black lettering on a flat piece of metal. Still not that easy though, it's going to take him some serious time to "recreate" the lettering.

I asked the question because I have a Mac amp I'm selling on Audiogon and someone critized me for rating the amp a 7 out of 10 because of some bubbling along the bottom edge of the faceplate. This guy thought because there was more than one "bubble" it should be a 5 according to the guidelines that refer to multiple areas of defects in the "silkscreening". Again, I thought silkscreening referred to the lettering applied to the faceplate - and the lettering on my amp is perfect. But, I don't want to mislead anyone with my ad, so does anyone know what the definition is? I included photos of the faceplate in the ad that clearly show the bubbling and I also described it in the ad.

And the bubbling is a fairly easy fix. There is a guy on A-gon selling the correct paint and procedure to fix it. Anyway as long as you have pictures, I'd say it's hard to argue a couple of points on the rating. And yes, the black paint, in my mind would not constitute "silkscreening"

This one shows the bubbling at its worst because of the flash and relection of the marble table. Other than the bubbling, the amp is in great shape and just serviced a couple months ago. Oh well, I guess the guy can ***** if he wants - he doesn't have to read the ad or buy the amp!

post-16514-13819263456888_thumb.jpg