Interesting read...FMD (doppler distortion) doesn't exist

DrWho

absolutely! none of the horn speakers I have seen in studios are near field, they are always 3-6' away from the desk to allow the sound to "gel". as for use they are used for just about everything; mixing, mastering, etc. some of these are extremely revealing and even sounding speakers, believe me! my memory is that we use a variety of speakers when mixing and mastering to make sure the recorded music sounds good on a variety of systems. best regards, tony

"There's just something about horns that make them wierd to mix with. I attribute it to the throat distortions inherant in every horn loaded design (another one of those built in flaws that you can only minimize)."

For sure every speaker design has its warts, major or minor, but I think the point of inherent throat distortions in horns is the "proverbial fly in the ointment" in the design and engineering of these beasts. It would appear that PWK, James B. Lansing etc. did a credible job in this area based on the afficionados devoted to each manufacturer.

I thought DJK's comments re: colored sounding Bowers and Wilkins 801s referenced to JBL 4430s was very interesting----I find that B&W is another manufacturer who have almost a cult following and with the price class of these things and the temperament of the folks who buy them the "colored" comment would indeed be fighting words. I've heard the B&Ws but have only briefly heard the 4430s and thus cant comment on his assessment. I suspect for "dynamic" the 4430s would leave the 801s in the dust...........

----------------

On 3/22/2005 9:21:31 PM Klewless wrote:

Does all this mean that the train whistle tone does not go up as it approaches, and down as it departs? Did anybody remember to tell the whistle about all this?

Now my head hurts.

----------------

No, doppler effect is a factual certainty. It just isn't much of a factor in speaker cone excursion. The cone's linear velocity isn't high enough to create much of a doppler effect. But the changing position of the cone relative to the listener creates phase change distortion, which isn't quite the same as the wave getting stretched or compressed to a different frequency.

"I find that B&W is another manufacturer who have almost a cult following and with the price class of these things and the temperament of the folks who buy them the "colored" comment would indeed be fighting words. I've heard the B&Ws"

I was a dealer for both.

While the B&W may measure flat at one meter, the JBL has flat POWER response.

It measures much better in a room, and reflections have a spectra like the direct sound (something the B&W cannot do, by its very design).

As far as near field/far field, the dome tweeters used in B&W type product don't have as good of dispersion as the horn in a 4430, only having 60* vs 100* at 16Khz, so the 'sweet spot' is a bit further back (and narrower) on the product with the dome tweeter.

I have measured the woofer at ±1dB 100hz~1Khz nearfield, and the horn ±2dB 1Khz~16Khz.

I did find the FMD to be unacceptable in the 4430 on very certain types of program material, and built my own with the 2204 12" woofer, and a push-pull pair of 15" Eminence woofers with similar specs to the JBL 2234s and electronically crossed at 100hz. This smoked the bigger 4435 monitor at less money too.

I like to play with stuff, and 'things' wander in and out of the stack on a regular basis. The MaxxBass102 has wandered in right now, and I may order one for myself.

----------------

On 3/25/2005 2:36:31 AM timbley wrote:

----------------

On 3/22/2005 9:21:31 PM Klewless wrote:

Does all this mean that the train whistle tone does not go up as it approaches, and down as it departs? Did anybody remember to tell the whistle about all this?

Now my head hurts.

----------------

No, doppler effect is a factual certainty. It just isn't much of a factor in speaker cone excursion. The cone's linear velocity isn't high enough to create much of a doppler effect. But the changing position of the cone relative to the listener creates phase change distortion, which isn't quite the same as the wave getting stretched or compressed to a different frequency.

----------------

When I read the article, I got the impression that the calculated results on the frequency response due to phase changes gives the same results as that of the "doppler effect". So essentially you could use either model to calculate the same real life event. However, he is trying to show that the doppler effect doesn't happen because the medium is essentially moving with the cone (or is it? His article makes it sound like a debateable point). On his graphs, you don't see any modulation of the high frequency as it's passing through the point where the woofer is moving the fastest, but you see modulation when the woofer is at it's peak excursions. I think it makes perfect sense to claim the source being phase issues and not the doppler effect.

" I think it makes perfect sense to claim the source being phase issues and not the doppler effect."

Sure, other than the fact that I can _hear_ the frequency change with my ears, and _measure_ the frequency change on my spectrum analyzer.

Other than that I don't have a problem with ESP.