starter

oktypi

hello

im new to this so bear with me. i wanted to buy a stereo that sounded good and would last a long time. well i got into this huge ordeal and found out that what is in the mall is not the best stuff. like i saw cerwin vegas and sony speakers that pretty much sucked. so i walked into a tweeter center and found what i was looking for. i own a sony str 945. its not the greatest reciever but it was in my price range. and i bought some rf-3's. i am so happy with these speakers. but i have some questions. what is a good sub to match to these speakers, i make more money now so im not too worried about price, whats a good amp for these speakers. and on my stereo... i can change the sound comming out of each channel it gives you the option of frequency i think " you can change the db and the htz/khtx of mid bass and treble " what does this mean, i know it changes the sound but what does it mean. sorry if i just sound retarded but i am knew at this. thanks for the time

Welcome to the Klub! We were all new at this, and lots of us still are (like me)!

There are several good subs out there. You'll probably want at least a 12" sub -- it's probably the best general purpose size, generally speaking. Small enough to be fast for music, and large enough to be deep for HT. Kind of depends on your budget. In the $350-600 range is the KSW-12 and the Velodyne CHT-120. Lots of people here have the Paradigm PW-2200 and like it alot. It will run in the $700-800 range most likely. Also, there are fans of SVS subs - only available via the net but a lot of bang (woof) for the buck. See them at www.svsubwoofers.com.

Good luck, and enjoy the RF-3s!

DD

Welcome aboard starter

Great name! I think a lot of us would like to be finishers around here...just too many decisions!

Seriously, DD2 gave you some good advice, Klipsch is coming out with their reference subs soon. If price is not a big concern you might want to wait and hear them. This is a great hobby, one that always makes you want to try something a little different/better. So choosing a good sub now will leave you in good shape if you do feel the upgrade bugcwm41.gif. They are supposed to be fast enough to keep up with music with the better speakers.