k-24-k's in heresy 1s

fec

Kklipsch friends -

About a month ago I rescued a pair of heresy 1s from our church expendables (rubbish)pile. When i opened them up, one of them had an "imposter" 12 inch woofer and the other had a k-22-ef.

I found a pair of k-24-k woofers on e-bay a couple of weeks ago, and they arrived yesterday. In a previous search, I read about the heresy 2's with the k-24-k having a piece of foam in them forming a sort of tube around the woofer.

Do you guys have an opinion as to whether finding a piece of foam and imitating this tube is something I should do?

These are black 1978 heresy 1s that have had a tough time cosmetically, having had eye bolts screwed into them to hang them. There are also a couple of spots where the top ply of the plywood are missing. So, I'm also going to have to do the acetone "strip" and shoot them with the rustoleum that I've also read about here. They also have the type E crossover, and maybe I'll try some of the adjustments I'm reading about from other threads.

I am enjoying this forum and the information you guys provide, and am curious to see what you think about the foam. Will the k-22-ef be something that will be of use to another forum member? Thx ... Forrest

• Like 1

fec,

I wonder if the K22-ef is close to the K22 in the H I'm having trouble with. Do you have a price in mind for the K22-ef? Maybe it would at least let me enjoy the speakers with this change for now and I could worry about originality later. What do you think?? Enjoy the Music.....

I don't know how similar to the EVs in those H's this would be. I'd be happy to send it to you and let you try it. If you don't want it, you can send it back. If you decide to keep it, do you think $40 would be too much? I paid $100 for the pair of K-24s. E-mail me and let me know if you'd like me to send it and where. Seems very much a shame for those H's to be out of service. Thx - Forrest

This message has been edited by fec on 08-26-2001 at 12:22 AM

• Like 1

IMHO I wouldn't worry about the foam.

The K-22-E was the I's woofer,not sure where the"f"came from.The 24's have a slightly tighter and fuller bass than the 22.Changed the one in my I's center channel.

new2klipsch,did you get those "H"Heresy's?I think I remember reading that.They the ones with the cast aluminum baskets?The K-22-E isn't the same.It's much closer to the 24.

Maybe a speaker repair service can rebuild it for you.

The K-22-E is worth $40+.I made the mistake of selling the one out of mine.Should have kept it.Frown.gif

Yeah - I think if it was me I'd fix the EV in the "H" and put them back to original since they are so old and unusual (though I don't know enough to say if that's what'd sound best). I've always heard good things about those Sp12s, though I thought they were more of a full-range speaker than a bass or mid-bass woofer. SteveP, in your opinion did the k-24 improve your heresy? I'll let you know if New2klipsch doesn't want the K-22-EF. I have not found any reference to a K-22-EF in any posts, but that's what's on this thing plain as day. Oh - well, gotta go watch the braves baseball game and the Georgia Tech football game.

• Like 1

The 24 wasn't a jump and down improvement,but yes it was a bit tighter and a little fuller sounding in the bass dept.

I don't need the 22,but thanks anyway.Hang on to it.Someone will need it someday.That's what happened to mine.Someone needed one for his pair,got $40 for it.

I'm building a center with parts from my Heresy,Just got a K-33-E woofer,so the Heresy cabinet will just sit with the E network and K-24 woofer.

Hi Steve P and fec,

Thanks for the input. Earlier this evening I did indeed contact a reputable speaker repair shop that I have worked with before. I am planning on having the EV driver repaired/overhauled. Steve, how are those Khorns? I think the last time I posted I put my foot in my mouth regarding installation of material that you were considering to improve the bass cabinet performance. A couple of others set the issue straight. Been away from the BBS for awhile. An aquaintance helped me put together a pair of Altecs. It's been fun. I still have the '77 Khorns and they look and sound nice in my "listening room". The H's are neat, too bad one woofer appears to have been damaged during shipment. The packing was the best I've seen, but maybe the box was dropped and the jarring has shifted or deformed the woofer internals. Oh well, that's the risk you take when items are shipped. Glad Khorns survived their 1500 trip much better. Enjoy the Music....Jim

After reading this thread, I decided to open up my 1977 Heresys, which I hadn't done, and I've owned them for over a month! That's like buying a car and never looking under the hood, right? Well, the suspense was killing me, even though they're absolutely pristine speakers, and I think mine were the first eyes to behold them since they left Hope. (Only opened one; they're three digits apart in serial numbers, so I'm guessing they're identical, plus the fact that the other will be a big pain in the butt to lower from it's perch high above the listening area)

I have the K-22-ef woofer! Also the K-55 squawk, and the K-77 tweet--sound about right for late seventies Heresys? These things are so pristine, it's like the owner never did anything other than dust them! There's nothing wrong with them as of now, but ya never know when the driver or cone will decide to go south, so I may be in the market for a k-22-ef, but I hope not. These guys are brassy and bold, but they're perfect as full-range surrounds, and I love 'em! cwm20.gif

• 1 year later...