Before I move my sub...............

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Based on my system, layout description below and your experience tinkering with sub locations, do you think I will hear any significant difference?

Room is about 15' wide by 12' deep. The center, mains and sub are along the wide wall. The center is flanked equally by both mains about 5' on each side. The sub is in a corner location to the right of the right main about 8" from both walls. We use the system for 70% HT and 30% music.

Pioneer and THX recommend placing sub between center and main. (If I do so, it will just barely fit because of the tv stand.) Klipsch says put it close to your speaker(s) with small settings. As described above, I did neither figuring a corner location was best. The dilema is I ran my LFE wire run beneath the carpet. Will I possibly hear/feel a significant difference if I experiment with sub locations? (Remember, I have an untrained ear and I go against all the rules by not matching my components.) Furthermore, why would Pioneer and THX recommend sub location between the center and the main?

put sub where you sit....or main listening position....

Play some bass test tones....

walk around room...and find spot where test tones seem the loudest....Use SPL meter if ya want...

and this spot is a great place for your sub

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 3/30/2005 1:53:46 PM gcoker wrote:

YGMN said it perfectly, the only thing I would add is when you find the sweet

spot on your bass, the best location may not be practical. I would then

go to the second best and so on.

----------------

Thank you both. When determining the loudest point, do I need to take into consideration or compensate for which direction the exhaust air tube is pointing? Also, I am assuming the test tones generated by my a/v receiver would suffice?

Guest Anonymous

Sorry, I am new at this forum stuff.

I know no one can give me a definitive answer, but based on the info. provided (small sub, small room and my mains have larger woofers than my sub) is it a 50/50 % shot that I will hear/feal any difference if I find the sweet spot for the sub? Or is there a greater than or less than probability%?

Again, thanks.

Do you own, or have access to an spl meter? If so, then you can utilize this when setting up the subwoofer. You may also try switching the phase though 0 and 180 degrees, to find out what better matches the main speakers.

With the ksw-10, I would recommend corner placement to start. Play a track or test tone, and note the reading on the spl meter. Repeat for other locations.

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 3/30/2005 2:52:30 PM michael hurd wrote:

Do you own, or have access to an spl meter? If so, then you can utilize this when setting up the subwoofer. You may also try switching the phase though 0 and 180 degrees, to find out what better matches the main speakers.

With the ksw-10, I would recommend corner placement to start. Play a track or test tone, and note the reading on the spl meter. Repeat for other locations.

----------------

No, unfortunately I do not have an SPL meter. I thought the phase switch was used to prevent woofers (sub vs. sub or sub vs. main) cancelling each other out? Besides, I have experimented with that switch and never heard any different results. Do you recommend corner placement of the KSW-10 because of its small size and the smaller size subs need all the help they can get through wall reflections?