Single KLF-20 on Ebay

redtop

Redtop,

Its early, but it looks like this may go at a bargain (cosmetically screwed). My question for you (or any others that want to chime in) is, "How much of an improvement would the 20 be over the C-7, when I am running 30's in the front?" I have been waiting for a single 30, but I am starting to grow a little impatient. I like the 7, but it just can't keep up on dvd-a and sacd at decent volume levels.

Thanks,

Levi

Levi,

I can only tell you that I have done the comparision twice with two different Klipsch Speaker lines (KG3.5's and KLF-30's). It is a difference you can hear. There is just something about identical components that expand the soundstage and fill it with seamless beauty. This is especially true (and most important) with the front speaker array, since 80% or more of the sound of most movies is sent there.

The C7's are no slouch (I've got three across the back of my HT), but IMO (and to my ears) perfection is only possible with identical drivers and cabinet size. This KLF-20 will make a great front center channel for someone willing to do a HornEd mod to it. Search for "HornEd" by author on this forum and look back about 2 years for more info on that.

Hope that helps.

Red,

I sometimes have trouble articulating my thoughts. I know all about HornEd's center channel mods (thats why my sig. is "always looking for a single klf 30), but I thought maybe a 20 is close enough to a 30 in timbre match. In your opinion, I should wait for a single 30 to come around, and pass on this 20. I know the timbre match wouldn't be the same between the 20 (center) and the 30's, but it would have to be a better match than the 7.

Levi,

For me, the problem would be the difference I hear vs. the difference I know. What I mean be that is our minds play tricks on us with this audio stuff. If I had 30's as mains, I would only be happy "knowing" I had a 30 in the center. If you did a blind listening test on me with a properly modified and calibrated 20 in the center, I doubt I could tell the difference. The 20's and 30's share the same mid horn and tweeter, so their voicing is identical. I suspect that any minor difference would be due to the cabinet size and size of the woofers.

If I could get a good deal on the 20 on Ebay, I would go for it. If you were to come across a 30 later on, you could always move the 20 to your rear center or sell it modified. Probably way big overkill if placed in the rear channel, but who said us guys on this forum are minimalists...9.gif IMO, either way you go, once you have a 20 or 30 as the center you will have stepped up to the next level of audio bliss...3.gif

Go for it!! I had been using a C7 with my La scalas which did a better job on center channel music than with movies. Easter Sunday I bought a single La Scala from a guy in Houston and had Bob Crites build me a new crossover for it. Now I can better understand vocals during action and any special effects going thru the center channel now sound incredible! My rear speakers are KLF 20s and when they were my fronts they overpowered my C7. The 30s have 12 inch woofers and the 20s have 10 inch woofers, high and mid horns are the same. It would be like all the people who have the KHorns with a La Scala or Belle for a center channel. If it is a good deal then grab it, just make sure everything works ok.

Xman