MX 135/MC206 Demo

J.4knee

Went down to San Diego today to one of the only McIntosh/Klipsch Dealers who still have Heritage speakers on the floor. Immediately upon entering the first this I saw was a set of Brazilian Rosewood Klipschorns. These things were probably, no make that, absolutely the most beautiful speakers I have ever seen. They were tucked comfortably into their respective corners in an NAD demo room. They were signed by the man himself, my wife saw them and her jaw just dropped, I nearly fell to the floor into the fetal position at the sight of these things, absolutely gorgeous. I asked if they were for sale and the owner said yes but they are very expensive $14500 for the pair. My original intent was to go in to see what McIntosh they had out for demo on the floor. I was redirected into the McIntosh room unfortunately they did not have any Klipsch in that room for demonstration. She (the owners wife, actually they co-own the business) first set up the MX135 with an MC602 and did a two channel demo with a Wynton Marsalis disk, I asked for Charlie Parker but they could not find the disk, I was still pleased with the music choice. Wow what an incredibly clean smooth sound even without the Klipsch. There is no mistaking the smooth easy yet incredibly clear and detailed sound of McIntosh. One thing I did notice though was even the big McIntosh speakers lack the dynamic presentation and articulation of the Klipsch. They sounded great but it was a smaller sound and took significantly more power to drive them to a comfortable level. Next she set up the MX135 with an MC206 and put on The Mask of Zoro. This was an interesting set up as the surrounds were placed in front of the listening position, my first thought was to question this but I decided what the heck just sit back and listen. The surround sound effect was still very stirring and I still heard that same perfectly smooth McIntosh sound. If I was not convinced before I most assuredly am now that the MX135 is simply a fantastic pre/pro. The MC 206 was equally impressive. This combo is without a doubt the best HT sound I have ever heard. I just wish I could have heard it demod on Klipsch. To me this rivaled the smoothness of most tube amps I have heard. (Ill catch some flack for that comment I am sure but what the hey). The only downside of this was the MX135/MC206 combo runs about $8000, and I dont exactly have that kind of disposable cash laying around but it sure motivated me to start saving. They had an MC 207 but their custom install work has them swamped and have not been able to set it up yet. Man what a beast that thing is, it is easily as big and maybe a little bigger than the MC 602. Anyway I was thrilled to go down and have this demo set up and run. The people that own this place are fantastic, they realize a large percentage of people who walk in are not going to buy that day or in some cases ever but they are still very happy to demonstrate their wares for anyone who enters. I ask ed about eth NAD stuff and got a brief demo and was impressed there too but the highlight of the day was seeing those beautiful Klipschorns (which sounded as good as they looked) and listening to the McIntosh stuff.