New anything vs. Used Heritage, respect your elders!

DizRotus

I liked DMan's post so much that here it is again. I think this sums it up very well.

"I have often wondered why I went back to the "old" technology after exploring some of the "new".

It's not just a nostalgia thing. It actually stems from the realization that some products so embody the technologies AT SOME POINT in their development - like Harleys, and VW Beetles, Levi Stauss Blue Jeans, etc. achieved the level of defining and embodying the technology SO WELL and SO COMPLETELY that it BECAME the quintessence of the technology, the inventiveness of the time, and the example by which all others are judged. It's the "Gestalt" of the thing... the "completeness".

At that CERTAIN point of "being completely what it is", the thing and its performance (if any) cannot be "improved" upon, but can only be made "different".

Hence, the idea that at a certain point of development, the methodology changes, but the underlying technology doesn't. Like the Japanese motorcycles TRYING to sound, look and feel like the classic Harley. Yes, the "new" may out-perform (and outlast) the "old" but the elemental criteria for judging the performance is ONLY based on the "old" quintessential technology.

DM "

There's something in the simplicity, in the engineering, that PWK just GOT IT RIGHT! No computers of fancy modeling tools, just a bunch of guys with grass roots 'here's how we'ere gonna do it' thought processes and a love of good sound. I mean, what type of music doesn't KICK BUTT with Klipsch Heritage!?!?!? I LOVE EM!

To me it's just like the Honda Accord I just bought- my fourth one-it just feels right!

Michael