LFE via SW & Rear surrounds?

mrock

I'm hope I picked the correct forum for this...

Help me to understand the risks, if any, that I could run into if I were to try this.

I have a 6.1 system, powered by a Denon 3805.

My sub, is an older JBL PS100. My rear surrounds are Forte Is.

In an attempt to get more out of my system, I find that Im asking myself, whats wrong with running a second pair of speaker cables to my rear Fortes? The 2nd pair of cables would be from my sub.

In DD/DTS 5.1/6.1, the rear surrounds are there for effects. If you have full range speakers, then they are not being used to their full potential. Thats my understanding anyways.

If my sub were able to send out .1/LFE frequencies to my rears, Id have 2 more .1/LFE points of presence in my listening area. Right?

What harm would I be subjecting to my Fortes(or any speaker for that matter), by having a cable from my AVR and a cable from the subwoofer in place?

The Forte is rated down to 32hz, the JBL PS100 is rated down to 30hz. So theres not much of a difference from that standpoint.

Thoughts?

Yikes, how would one wire this up?

How can you get the rear Fortes, a surround signal and the .1?

How do you pass the signal to the JBL PS100 now? Unless it's via speaker level inputs, there will be no additional amplification to run the rear placed Forte's.

I'd be donning goggles with this experiment. 10.gif

Well... at least the response wasn't - "Are you nuts?" That may still be coming, however. ~smile~

The subwoofer O/P on my AVR, goes to the LINE IN on my subwoofer. The AVR has a single RCA-type post, to which I have a y-splitter used to connect to the L and R line-in on my sub woofer. Using the splitter is a commonly suggested way to get the single AVR SW-out post to L&R input posts on the sub itself.

The sub has speaker level outs on it. I would run speaker cables from the SW to my rears. The Sub is self-powered with a 100watt amp in it.

My rears would have two cables on each post. One from my AVR for rear surround, and the second from my sub for possible LFE.

The sound might be like crap, real muddy.. etc. I won't know until I try it, but I don't want to trash anything in the process, if that's a possibility.

All you need to do is set all your speakers to "Large" in the setup for your receiver. Then set your receivers sub output to "Plus". Then all frequencies will be sent to all speakers, and the sub will still get it's share of lows.

Anything else (like what you're describing) is just asking for smoke.

Dave10.gif

----------------

On 4/12/2005 2:17:25 PM mrock wrote:

The sub has speaker level outs on it. I would run speaker cables from the SW to my rears. The Sub is self-powered with a 100watt amp in it.

----------------

The amp contained within the sub will only drive the sub's own speaker(s). You cannot power any speakers, *after* the sub, with the sub's amplifier. Think of the speaker outs on the sub as a high-pass, passive filter, similar to a normal speaker cross-over, going to a mid/tweeter, but the speaker level *in-put* must be used to take advantage of this.