HK 430.....what a tuner

Morton

Hi friends,

I know this is starting to sound redundant but I just picked up a Harman Kardon 430 off ebay. 70's type.

Everything you guys said is true. It has an amzing tuner, not just from the standpoint of excellent reception which it has, but the sound. It's so lucid.

This is without a doubt the best tuner I've ever had.

The sound is transparent and crisp. Just amazing.

The pots on this thing need to be cleaned and the tape monitor button sticks but overall it is spotless. I don't know if I can clean all these pots myself or just take it to a shop and have it gone over. This receiver is certainly worth giving some attention.

I'm actually driving a pair of old Dynaco 25's I found in the garbage and rebuilt(just woofers and a good sanding and oil). The receiver seems a bit bright(I don't mind) to me but I will hook it up to my Kg's and see what I've got.

Highly recommended.

Bob

----------------

On 4/14/2005 9:54:41 PM Morton wrote:

The pots on this thing need to be cleaned and the tape monitor button sticks but overall it is spotless. I don't know if I can clean all these pots myself or just take it to a shop and have it gone over.

Bob

----------------

Bob, it really isn't too difficult to clean those pots. Get a can of contact cleaner at Radio Shack (or Deoxit), pull off the 430's cover, and spray the cleaner into the back of the pots. Spray one shot, then twist the pot from one side to the other about 5 times, working the cleaner in. Repeat two or three times.

For the push buttons, spray through the front side, between the button and front housing. It should work loose and function normally.

As far as benchwork, it can't hurt but it will cost you more than you paid for the unit most likely. If everything sounds fine, chances are it is fine.

Cleaning the contacts will go a LOOOOONG way to improving the quality of the signal path.

Music Hall MMF-7 Turntable w/ Goldring Eroica H MC

Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CDP with 24 bit/192 KHz Upsampling

Wright Sound WPP-100C Phono Stage

JF Lessard Pantheon 6SN7 SRPP Preamp w/ RCA 5R4GY & Sylvania 6SN7

JF Lessard Horus Parafeed Cobalt 2A3 SET Monoblocks w/ Tung Sol 5687 & AVVT 2A3

1976 KCBR Klipschorns with ALK Crossovers

Gear Online: Two Channel & Home Theater Systems