somebody plz help me

Wallie

Hi, i got a question. I have built one pair of floorstanders that have backwords firing woofers they sound great i dont have any problems with them so far.and i am thinking of building another pair of floorstanders, i got the drawlings ready and will probebly be building them in 2 months or so. But my question is does it matter if i put forwardfiring woofers or backwordsfiring woofers in the cabinet.

Its gonna be a 3-way design with one squawker one tweeter and two woofers. The squawker will be placed all the way up in the cabinet in a small box the tweeter will be placed in the same space as the woofers, maybe some information that will help. sorry if my english is a bit messed up but i live in holland3.gif

thanks in advance Wallie2.gif

Yes. The difference in phase (time) of the various direct signals from the various drivers will be substantially different. In other words, if you excited the system with a broadband impulse, the reflected low frequencies would arrive late relative to the more quickly arriving mids and highs due to the different in the distance traveled and the reflective coefficients of whatever material the LF reflects off. The net effect of the room upon the system will be greatly increased as well.

I would suggest making them forward firing. (But any vents, if a bass reflex enclosure, could certainly be rear firing.)

What crossover point are/will you be using? Since you mentionned that they are woofers, dragonfyr is right... and you are better off at keeping them foward facing.

We occasionally see side facing drivers on some 3way or 4way designs... but if you look at their crossover points (120Hz and less), you will see that they are simply subwoofers integrated into the same cabinet with a 2way or 3way. Wavelengths are long and phase changes occur over greater distances.

As with any crossover design, you must take care of the phase of the actual drivers at each crossover point. KISS (keep it simple and stupid) principal applies here... 2.gif

Rob

Hi, thanks for the replies. here is a picture of the drawlings. The subwoofers will go up to 800 herts the squaker will go from 800 to 5000 herts and the tweeter will go from 5000 to 20000 herts, 12db/ oktave. thanks for the information.

Wallie

post-16541-138192641115_thumb.gif

Hi, i have another question. The squawker is in a speperate place from the subwoofer and tweeter, the tweeter is in the same place as the subwoofer. But my question is should i leave the tweeter at the place where it is? (please look at my post above for the drawlings) or make it seperate from the subwoofer and squawker? or make it only seperate from the subwoofer? becuase i noticed at the other speakers i made that i have to turn the highs on the amplifier way up to hear the highs. and i dont want to blow up my tweeters. thatnks for further replies.

Wallie1.gif

Given that your crossover will be 800Hz, the bass driver you have will be a "woofer" (a "subwoofer" usually is a word used to describe a bass driver reproducing only the lowest octaves like 120Hz and less).

If I understand your question correctly, you'd like to know why the midrange driver has it's own separate compartement... while the tweeter shares the enclosure with the woofers?

The reason I can see for the tweeter sharing the same rear volume is that the enclosure was probably designed to use a tweeter with an enclosed back. If you look at most of the tweeters available to the DIY crowd, they have sealed backs (like having their own little box). The designer didn't bother adding a second "box" to isolate from the woofer's back wave because it wasn't required.

If you use the recommended tweeter, I would leave the design as is.

Later...

Rob