Subwoofer Heat

MrPeabody

Alrighty then .. I got my set of 4.1 from Best Buy for $174.00 that's right only $174.00. They were an opened box that they had priced at $249.00 and then the guy gave me another 30% off yahoo!! Any if for any reason they don't work I just bring them back for a brand spanking new unopened pair hmmm maybe I hear a cracklin already ... kiddin. Anyways my question is this, I am building a built-in desk/wall unit and I was going to build a cubby hole for the sub. My concern is where and will it get too hot and melt down if I enclose it too much. Is it better to leave it free and clear under the desk or atop the wall unit and what about the heat build up if I do enclose it. I was thinking that perhaps I could rig up some old PC fans to help cool it down ..but what a pain. And I am afraid that my sound will be diminished if I enclose it even a little. What are your thoughts on this? Thanks!

As for the heat, I would try and leave some amount of ventilation around it -- although you will notice that there is no venting or exterior heat-sink fins on the unit, so it may in fact not generate much heat (or, its already close enough to tolerances by NOT having these features that you may be pushing your luck) -- I know my amp gets warm enough at low-volumes that the cats like to sleep on it on cold days.

As for placement of the sub versus sound quality, this will take some experimentation. I have found that the more open an area the sub is in, the less bass I seem to have, whereas when its under my desk and either against the wall or (even better) in the corner, I often have to set the subwoofer on its lowest setting, the bass is so much louder. The mathematics behind evaluating it measurably is beyond me, but I do know it has everything to do with the size and shape of the resonant cavity within which the source is placed.

Low frequencies are less directional than higher, so you run far less risk of occluding the bass sounds (and hurting sound quality) by enclosure. Case in point -- a lot of high-end car systems have the subwoofer in a separate enclosed air-space (the trunk, or in the spare-tire well) and do not sound that much different when the sub is placed in the same air-space as the listener.

Experiment with placement re: sound quality, but the ambient temperature tolerances of the amp is best answered by a tech. I'd leave it SOME openings for flow, just to be safe, unless you plan on never driving the thing hard.

i would not enclose the sub at all... It is best being put in an open area or tangent to a corner. (not really tangent...)

if you close it up, the side firing woofers will be muffled sounding, it would be best to leave air around it. you do not want a sub soundling like it is being played in a box covered with egg crate cushoning.

that is JMO

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, but if it is professional help you want contact Amy. Email Amy or call Toll Free: 1-888-554-5665

Just do me a favor and run up my counter... I know that sounds sad but so is my site!

http://www.fortunecity.com/campus/berry/88/

I beat DBvader to 600 posts!

I beat DBvader to 700 posts!

I beat DBvader to 800 posts!**

(does not matter anymore though)