Receiver as pre/pro (w/Parasound and KLF-20s)?

Hans

Hello All,

I am assembling my home theater system and (un)fortunately started with the speakers, KLF-20's. They were such a great deal ($720/pr) that I had to get them. No surprise to all of you, but they sounded horribly bright with my old (and hated) Sony Pro-Logic receiver.

No problem, a new receiver was next on the list.

The next great deal I found was on a Parasound HCA-885a 5ch amp for $375 (unused, open box). It sounds excellent with the speakers and a borrowed Denon.

Now I am stuck because I need a pre/pro or receiver. I like the sound of the Denons, but I need to go up to the 2802 ($799!) before I get 5-ch pre-outs and PL-II.

I could get the Denon on the web for about $550, or I can grab an H/K AVR210 for $375 (w/Logic 7) or a Marantz SR-4200 for $399 (with PL-II). I could go super-cheap and get the Marantz SR-4000 for $250 from hifi.com (no DTS or PL-II).

I would use the main front channels of either amp to run outdoor/sub-room speakers.

I don't want to spend more than $500 on the receiver or preamp (I have to save $$ for a KLF-C7).

I guess I could just return or sell the Parasound, buy a $600 reciever, and be ahead $200!

Any advice?

Thanks,

Hans

This message has been edited by Hans on 08-30-2001 at 05:46 PM

Hans - I take it you want a receiver so you can use the built-in amp for other purposes as well, rather than just buying a pre-amp, is that right? You might also see if the Denon 2801 has 5 pre-amp outs. If you are trying to buy cheap, it's been replaced by the 2802 and might be available at a pretty good price -- don't know for sure as I haven't been watching.

DD2

Actually I was looking at a receiver instead of a Pre/Pro because of the huge cost difference. I have not seen a pre/pro under $1,000 without major problems.

The only ones I have found are the H/K Sig 2.0 for $800 (strangely available for $880 from H/K outlet, including the 2.1 amp) and the Parasound 1800 for $600 (but with a lot of bad feedback on Audioreview, as well as lacking in 5ch stereo or PL-2).

I could go deeper into the "great deal" money pit and order the H/K Sig2.0/2.1 combo and hock the amp on Ebay

Hans