Mono block amps on K-horns and Belles

ricdew

No prob. I am building HT and am using Khorn fronts, Belle center, and Belle rears. Have received a recommendation to use sepearate amps for the horns and woofers of each speaker. The reason explained to me is that the horns and woofers can be controlled seperately for each speaker. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Rick

Rick

Sounds like you are planning on Bi-amping each cabinet. One amp for the midrange and tweeter, and a second for the woofer section. IMHO it is not worth it.

If you are talking about running a separate amp for each speaker, now that is worth it. You will get a lot better separation resulting in better imaging.

In my Heritage HT. I run mono blocks on the front three channels. Then a sterio amps for the sides and rears. Obviously the Subs have there own amp too.

6 total amps for a 7.1 setup.

JM

JM

Thanks for the input. I thought that might be a little ridiculous. Any reason for stereo amps on the sides and rears? One more question?? What kind of result would I get if I used my RC3 for a center channel, Khorn mains, Belle sides, and Belle rears. I am afraid the RC3 will not tamber match. Any comments?

Thanks for the info

Rick

----------------

On 5/9/2005 10:19:13 PM ricdew wrote:

Thanks for the input. I thought that might be a little ridiculous. Any reason for stereo amps on the sides and rears?

----------------

Well it's a lot cheaper and those channels don't get driven as hard so it's not as big of a compromise (if you can even call it that, lol).

In all honesty, your RC3 isn't going to come close on the timbre match and it'll even have a hard time keeping up with your khorns. With 1 watt, the khorns will be 104dB at 1 meter and the RC-35 will be 6dB. So for both of them to be at the same volume, you'll need to put about 8x the power into the RC-35.

In your situation, I think it would be better to go with a belle center and a belle rear center, instead of two rear surrounds. Technically, there is no difference between a 6.1 and a 7.1 rig because the two rear centers in a 7.1 system recieve the same signal the rear center in a 6.1 recieves. In other words, you can accomplish 7.1 with a 6.1 system just by paralleling another speaker with the rear center. So the only real advantage to a 7.1 system is that it makes it easier to fill in the rear when the rear of the HT is close to the listeners (such that the dispersion of a single speaker isn't wide enough to cover all the seats). So at the main listening position in the very middle, there should be no real audible difference. The belle in fact was designed to be a center channel between a pair of khorns (originally for a 3 channel stereo rig, but it works just as well for HT).

If you've got a good back (or have kids with good backs), then you should play around with different configurations and see what you like. There are some pics somewhere on the forum of another member who was using lascalas in the rear (very similar to the belle) and had some really neat looking stands that got them up off the floor (where surround speakers should be). Does anyone know if he posted in that HT thread with all those pics in it? I know his original post was a long time ago which would make it hard to search for.

Dr Who explained why I have stereo amps for my sides. And I must agree that the RC center would be a bad choise. The front three channels are the most important and should all be Heritage. Also why I have three mono blocks for the front as well - To get the best possible separation.

Surrounds should be Heritage too like Who points out.

I must differ with Who on the 7.1 rears. Though there is no 7.1 media at the time, if you have a high end processor like the Lexicon using Logic7, it will turn your 5.1, and 6.1 into 7.1. The two rears do have separation for suround effects.

JM

Really, there is no reason not to use a multi-channel amp.

Sort of kills all the birds with one stone.

But I would say get a good one, the best you can afford, as it is a waste of good speakers to push them with cheap components.

DM

• 2 weeks later...

----------------

On 5/7/2005 10:47:21 PM ricdew wrote:

Can anyone give me some info about using 125 watt mono block amps on the K-horns and Belles?

----------------

Monoblocks work great with Heritage. We've been playing around with the Flying Mole monoblocks on some Heritage and it sounds freaking fabulous...really stupendous combo. They are so small you can mount them right next to the crossover boards IN the speaker and bypass the input block connector and put it right on the amps. They sound like tube amps and they are cheap to boot 9.gif.