Crackling sound from Front left speaker

Roboto

Had my 4.1's for about 3+ years now.

This is the 3rd time this has happened.

Tried sending it back for repair but my old local agent says they don't represent the Pro-media line anymore.

The new agent says they only repair the new GMX series.

So I'm stuck.

Had messaged Klipsch and they tell me they no longer support the line so too bad.

This really sucks from a company that is supposed to have good quality products and service.

Feel rather cheated.

How can they stopped supporting a product less then 5 years old?

If this is the case, I would not buy any Klipsch items any more.

Unfortunately before I knew this, I bought the Ultras 2.0 as a temporary replacement.

Really regretted that.

Does anyone know of where I can get the circuit diagrams so I can get someone else to try to repair it.

Thanks.

Guest Damen Bonner

Thank you for your inquiry.

Sorry to hear about the problem with your unit and as well for the bad information.

We still do support and service the Promedia 4.1 systems.

Service is a flat fee of $60.00, and support is free.

Have you determined if it's a bad channel in the sub or a bad sat speaker; swap the speaker wire at the sub to determine?

Easy to address:

1) clean plug leading to the satt in question with rubbing alcohol. See if the problem is fixed.

2) If it isn't, switch it with a different satt. See if the problem moves to where you switched it to. If this is the case, the satt is probably bad.

3) If that doesn't work, try switching wires with another satt. See if the problem moves to the other satt. If this is the case, you might be in trouble as your amp might be heading towards death. Then again, the connection may just be loose or something.

Hmm surprised to hear this.

I have confirmed that the sub is the problem, the sub is too hot to touch and have changed sats with still the problem at that channel.

The problem is that I am living in Singapore, so I can't send it direct to you.

I bought the Promedia's from Tat Chuan Audio, they told me that they no longer support the set as they cannot order the parts from you. The distibution of the PC line of speakers has been awarded to Leapfrog. I contacted Leapfrog and they told me that they do not support the old Promedia line.

This is part of the email that your customer service replied me.

"Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry.

Unfortunately the 4.1 system has been discontinued

so we no longer have parts to repair these units.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause

you. Thank you for your time and understanding on

this matter.

When replying to this email, please include the

original message and all replies.

Thank you,

Scott Zielinski

ProMedia Customer Service

Klipsch Audio Technologies

1-888-554-5665 ext 8516

scott.zielinski@klipsch.com

A LEGEND IN SOUND

Sent: Monday, April 25, 2005 1:32 PM

To: promedia

Subject: RE: Repair of Promedia 4.1

No. Discontinued model. No parts."

Can you help?

Also if you are able to send the parts to Singapore, can you send extra for when my Sub spoils again?

Thanks.

Sze

Hello Mr Bonner,

Thanks for your reply.

But could you direct me to the proper agent in Singapore for repairs.

So far both of them do not want to take responsibility.

Tat chuan says they cannot order the parts, Leapfrog says they do not support the old ProMedias.

Thanks again.

Hi Amy,

Nice to hear from you again.

I have tried emailing promedia@klipsch.com.

However as you can see from the above message with the attached email.

They told me that they were not able to help.

But Mr Bonner has indicated that you are still available to support it.

Is it possible for me to personnally request parts to be shipped to Singapore? Tat Chuan has indicated that they would be willing to help me repair as long as parts are available.

Thanks

i have sounds like the same problem - my right rear channel line sounds like a home movie when there is a strong wind into the videcam's microphone - i tried the satellite on a different channel and it was fine, however i didn't try the rubbing alcohol trick or changing the wire out yet - but also now i hear the same noise in my sub when the music stops...when music is playing it is barely noticeable, but in between songs the noise is much more prominent - it sounds like really bad news =[

any suggestions/ideas?

Seems Klipsch is no longer bothering with the 4.1s, judging by the lack of answers they are able to come up with. And also they do not really check the forums that often now.

Getting answers from them is becoming difficult.

I am getting different answers from different people regarding the support of this product.

Still hoping for someone at Klipsch to enlighten me.

The most we can do at the moment is to find the circuit diagram and get some technician to repair it outside.

• 3 weeks later...

don't even bother...klipsch aren't interested in supporting customers, only making new ones...i have tried and failed in getting ANY help whatsoever regarding my 4.1s...there is ZERO support, especially for us in different countries...

just buy a different brand...i have and can't believe how i forked out $650 (AUS dollars) for klipsch's poor made 30 hour use speakes (that's right, only used them for 30 hours MAX)...

two thumbs down to klipsch - i will never buy a product of theirs again and will warn everybody that i come across looking to buy home theatre gear not to even go near klipsch...it is the least i can do to help other people!

and considering i install home theatres for a living, klipsch will lose out a lot! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Roboto, I contacted Klipsch today with the same problem you posted in this thread. Klipsch does support the Promedia line of speaker products, and will repair the speakers for a flat fee of $60.00. As to the problem you're having with the left front speaker, try unplugging the right front speaker and simply plug it into the rear of the left front speaker. If the left speaker plays fine, its the wiring to the speaker or the amp. If it doesn't, its the speaker. You may also try reversing this procedure to check the wiring and amp output to the left front speaker. My problem was an apparent cold solder joint that came loose inside the rear jack of the speaker housing. I resoldered said wire and the speakers worked fine.

If you find you have a bad speaker, you can simply slide the preamp (volume control) off the bottom of the speaker (they are all identical) and buy a replacement from Klipsch for a mere $26.00. I hope this is helpful.