Khorns/Digital X-overs

I've had some great feedback to my first post and have decided to purchase a used or new pair of Khorns. Fresh blood for the forum!

I've become extremely intrigued with this implementation:

Khorns

ALK Squawker horn and beyma tweeter upgrade

TacT Audio Digital processor (EQ and room correction). Digital out to:

(3) TacT digital stereo amps for triamping Khorns.

The Tact amps accept a digital in and have virtually unlimited xover set up for the low pass, band pass, and high pass.

So, digital all the way through until the drivers.

Am I crazy or would this be a really killer way to go??

I must say that I'm impressed with the perceived quality of the ALK ES-networks and very impressed and appreciative of Al's time spent on e-mail correspondence so a digital front end with his networks would be the other system solution.

What say you keepersoftheklipschforum?

Rob

It's not going to hurt you to try it all. What do you believe needs corrected in your room? I don't think digital amps are the way to go but I guess if you're going to be using a bunch of them, going the cheap route is important.

I'll be interested in what you think of the ALK squawker.

I've looked into the DEQX and it looks like a fine processor. What do you see as the main differences?

I like the idea of the TacT processor and using the digital out to go into their digital amps although I could use the DEQX digital out, as well.

Neither are cheap, however.

the deqx performs time delay, phase and amplitude/frequency modification on a driver by driver basis, it also has very extreme slopes available between drivers. instead of a standard RTA-type adjustment the deqx uses far more useful and sophisticated impulse response methods to correct for driver and room. AFAIK the Tact only addresses a subset of these adjustments. tony

The Tact does room correction but it doesn't have the functions for bi-amping like the DeqX. Between the two I'd go for the DeqX if you are looking to biamp with *steep* crossovers.

If you just want room correction for your mains Tact has a good deal on B-stock units of their earlier series of processors. Keep in mind room correction can work but the more you try to correct the smaller the area the correction is valid for.

IOW, if for example you try to correct for room resonance problems in the bass alone the correction will be valid just about everywhere in the room. But if you try to correct at say 10,000hz the correction will only apply to a very small area. Outside of that area it is possible the unit made things worse. As such it is a good idea to use a combination of room treatments and room correction.

Shawn

deqx does triamping...it does its room correction to each of the six drivers based on near field and far field testing procedures...it is slightly more complete, especially if you plant to multi-amp, than the TacT IMHO. regards, tony