appropriate height for RC7 in a theater room setting.

Ou8thisSN

I want to build a speaker stand for the RC7. Right now its sitting on the carpet, with a styrofoam block under it used to angle the sound up. It sounds muddy and horrible. While mounting the projector I went to home depot and got a 6" x 36" pine board that I painted black. I want to use that along with maybe another piece of wood to construct a stand for the RC7.

To those of you who have dedicated theaters, what angle did you have your RC7s firing at? 15 degrees? I need to know so that I can get the wood cut right.

there's about 18 inches from the floor, to the bottom of the screen. the seating is about 19 feet back. That is what i have to work with. Please help if you can.

Guest Anonymous

It should be aimed at ear level in listening position(s).

Colterphoto had a great idea for "seeing" where the sound is aimed at.

not my idea really, learned it here, just passing it along. It's not so important where the center speaker is mounted, height-wise, so long as it is aimed at your ears. I have heard systems with LR on stands and center nearly at ceiling height, just aimed and timed properly. But you do want to keep early reflections off the floor if you can. Also many coffee tables just get in the way- they have to go!

Michael

Do some searching over the past years and you will find some good reading on this subject.

For HT, the center should be higher than your head hight, not at ear level or below ear level IMO.

For some reason, human evolution makes it easier for us to identify the source of sound when the source is lower than our ear level. Probably for us hunting for food.... First instinct would tell you that the center should be lower, but if you do that, the center sound will always sound like it is comming from your speaker. When the center is placed high over the screen angled down to your sweet spot, the sound - sounds to you that it is comming from where your eyes are looking, more than the actual source giving a much better HT sensation IMO. This is more important for people with large front projection systems where your eyes move to the action on the screen.

Years ago when I built my custom heritage center, I did many test hanging the raw squaker and tweeter horns above and below the screen before I build my final mounting over the screen.

What was interesting was at last years INDY trip when we visited the movie theater and we got to see the speakers behind the screen. The bass bins were on the ground, the squakers and tweeters were located in the top 25% of the screen over the peoples heads.

JM

whoa, thanks a lot for the quick responses. I really appreciate that. After the experience of hanging a projector, I am not going to try that with the center channel. I plan on simply raising it above the ground enough so that the top of the center matches the bottom of the screeen. I will try and get some measurements tommorrow.

I was hoping that if I marked the lines, I could take the wood pieces to Home Depot to cut. I know they will cut a large piece of wood to make a small one for selling, but will they make cuts for me, provided i buy wood from there? I dont want anything fancy, just like 4 pieces of wood cut on the lines that I will draw. then i can paint it black and put it through...