Ultra THX Pricing

S2KDDS

I paid just about half of retail pricing. But I didn't get them from a authorized dealer so take that for what it's worth.

And yes I am more then happy with them. I had Atlantic Tech THX speakers before I got the Klipsch Ultra 2's. I now more then ever just get lost in the movies that I watch. Not that the AT techs were bad or anything, just that I feal that I steped up a level of envelopement.

----------------

On 5/25/2005 11:36:02 AM Smokem wrote:

Retail Prices:

KL-650 - $1,200/each

KL-525 - $1,000/each

KS-525 - $1,250/pair

KW-120 - $1,250/each

KA-1000 - $1,400/each
----------------

Hmmm... I could see how that would add up fast.

3 - KL-650: $3,600

4 - KS-525: $5,000

1 - KA-1000: $1,400

2 - KW-120: $2,500

Total: $12,500 6.gif

1 - KA-1000: $1,400

2 - KW-120: $2,500

Look on ebay, no where near that..

Or work with your dealer... He has some room too!

It is not just an amp too. FYI, The amp was made exclusively to work with these speakers set up. 1 amp 2 sub speakers...= NIRVANA!!!

I am curious about which speaker stands owners of the ultra2 line are using. I just purchased the set (- sub, lack of funds) and am having trouble deciding on which stands to go with. I am concerned about the possibility of the KL-650's toppling onto my 2 year old or 3 month old if they get to close to the speakers.

The only stand with a wide base plate is the steel foundations line from Sanus. THe base is 15x12 which matches nicely with the footprint of the 650's. The topplate is not a concern because I have a friend manufacturing a 12x8 top plate that has a back bracket that will match up with the omnimount hole locations on the back of the speakers which I will bolt the top plate too.

Also these stands seem good but they only come in 22", 26", 30" and 34" high.

After calculating ear height and sofa arms/ lamps in the way of sound travel I need a stand that is 24" high or 23.5/23 high. Is it safe to buy the 26" set and have them cut down to the size I need? Is 22" too low because it is 3" below my ear level and the sofa arm cuts into the sound zone by about 2"?

I really am confused and would like too make a decision soon because I really want to get the system calibrating so I can start enjoying my new toys.

Any pictures of peoples front three setup would be appriciated as well.

1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif

Good question about the speaker stands... About the safest thing would be to wall mount them using the omnimount 60.0's...But I'm guessing that won't work (doesn't look like it will work for me either).

I'll be interested in hearing what people come up with, My theater is a couple months away from completion.

--nw

26 is too much in that it would be a few inches higher than ear level. My ear level is 32/33" high when I am in a comfortable sitting position in my sweet spot on the couch. If I were to sit staright with proper posture (unrealisitc) than my ear level would be about 35". The center of the horn tweeter is 9" from the bottom of the speaker cabinet. If you take 9 away from 32/33 you get a speaker stand requirement of 23/24". Know the catch is I have a 3 seat couch on the right side wall that has an arm rest that is about 26" high which sits 5-6' away from the front right speaker. Also next to that arm is a 19" high end table with a lamp on top. The right speaker is directly in front of the table by about 3'. Know 22" or higher is over the height of the table so that should not be an issue, except at 26" the lamps shade starts to get in the way of the horn.

I borrowed two sets of stands two days ago and did some testing. The first stands were 24" B&W metal stands. The 650" seemed too sound good at that height without improper imaging. I did notice however the sound was very different than the RF-35's that these speakers replaced. I do not know how too describe it but it was a very different sound than I was used too.

Yesterday I tried a set of Infinity 21-1/2" stands and they sounded good at that height as well. I do not really know which sounded better but the speakers definatly looked better at that height than any higher. This time my wife and kids and I watched a full movie with this setup and it took me about just halfway through the movie to get use to the difference in sound. Could this be because I have not yet reset my parametric eq with the mic and my eleite 47TX receivers auto setup? Or should I change the right 650 to the left and left to right to have the horns on the inside of the speaker so the horns are not interfered as much with the couch or equipment cabinet on the left wall?

Are these speakers suppose to sound this different or am I just hearing things?

Also my centre channel is still the RC-35 so I do not know if that is what is effecting the unusually different sound That I am hearing (mixing the 650's with the RC-35).

I will be getting the 650 centre in the next couple of weeks as my 3rd 650 was on back order when I picked up the fronts.

On a side note: when I repleace my RS-35's with the KS-525's the difference was incredible, a more natural and smooth surround sound than before.

I will attach some renders I did of the fronts set on the 22" sanus SF22's with my 95" screen between.

1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif