Matching

wstrickland1

I have a pair of KLF-30s for my mains, a KV-4 center, RS-7s for my side surrounds and RB-35s for my rear surrounds. I read alot of opinions about matching series, etc. Would it make a huge difference to go to a KLF C7 center and what's everyone's opinion about the side/rear surrounds matching up. It seems to sound good to me, but I don't think I would really know good from great. Just looking for opinions. BTW, I am running a B & K Reference 50 pre/pro, Carver AV-806x for front/center/side and an Adcom 100 watt 2-channel amp for the back surround.

KLF-C7 would be the ideal center, but I don't think you're far off with the KV4. Same general genre although not a perfect matchup. By having the KLF20's as mains, you're kind of centered between Heritage and Reference lineups. Others will differ, but I think the worst timbre matchups are Heritage vs Ref., For instance, I used to have RC7 with Cornwalls- sounded okay to me, but it was a huge step up to backwards and get KLFC7. Of course a center Cornwall would be best, and I have experimented with Heresy, but the KLF-C7 sounds good to my ears (love your sig, btw). So imho, close counts.

Likewise, you're not too terribly far off using Ref for surrounds. There is more perfect matchups, but at least you don't have say Khorns with RB75 surrounds. See what I mean, your setup isn't perfect but pretty durn close. Go spend the money if you like, or borrow and experiment. There is always room for improvement, whether its' economically feasable is up to you.

Michael