who has or knows about c-band

iwillwalk

You can google "C band" and "4DTV", coming up with some info and sites. There is still programming left on these dishes, how much depends on the provider. However, at least where I am, there are several used dishes, 8 and 10 feet, either very cheap, or "take it away for free".

http://www.canadian-tv.com/forums/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=UBB3

You can scroll down and read on the C-band discussion forum. I would suggest trying to find a combo C band/Ku band feedhorn, you can receive more channels than a C-band system only.

There are several "pizza" dish companies, I have tried 3 providers and while not subscribed to any HDTV broadcasts, I can tell you that the picture quality is decent on most of the movie only channels. On the other channels, it is a pig and a poke. Some have excellent PQ, and others are like a cheap MP3 compared to the original CD.

Here in Canada, the picture quality on the Starchoice systems beats the Bell Expressview hands down. Bell uses the same equipment ( receivers, and antennas ) as Dish Network, but the PQ on Dish Network is much better.

6.gif

Iwillwalk:

i want to know oif a old dish with a new digital box will work

Not really, but you could strap an LNB from the provider that you want, point it ( the dish )at the correct satelite, and have no problems. Just affix the LNB with a tiewrap, or make a braket out of steel, clamp it to the existing feedhorn and you are good to go.

The LNB is different for the different types of satellites and the frequencies they operate at. You could use a KU feedhorn to receive Starchoice here, as it is the same type as a regular KU band feedhorn.

The directv/dishnet/voom/bell expressview LNB are all interchangeable. Same polarization and frequency.

Sorry, I was inferring that you were looking at a DBS satellite receiver, though you did not specify. To receive a DBS signal with a big dish, just add the proper LNB type alongside the regular feedhorn, then point at the correct provider. You would have to run a new RG-6 cable though, most of the older cable will have started to break down in the ground.

If you are looking at a C band digital receiver, disregard above.

I would recommend doing a C/Ku hybrid if at all possible it will give you more options. Go to www.lyngsat.com and select you continent/area and it will show you all the satellites viewable from that area - they are color-coded as to their type. You can click on a satellite and see what services (channels) are on the satellite, which transponder, the up and down link frequency and the type of encryption the channel uses (if any). If you have a long cable run use the best cable you can find - we use Canare L7CFB (http://www.canare.com/index.cfm?objectid=95B0E09A-3048-7098-AFD41C5858826F77)for our runs from the LNB to the fiber transmitters and from the fiber receivers to the receivers and splitters. Belden 1189 is good too for shorter runs.

If you have to bury the cable between your dish and the house, use large conduit with smooth bends to facilitate pulling in a new cable at a later date.

Are you going to use a service provider or are you looking for free channels? Do you already have another dish (Ku)? I don't think that there are too many free HD channels.

If you can give me more info as to what you have equipment wise and want to do, I can help you more. I work in satellite transmission and would love to help.

Paul