Newbie to Home Theatre with Questions

ken6432

Just found the forum, looks very nice.

I have a couple of questions about my planned theatre setup. I currently have a set of Heresy IIs for my 2 channel system and was planning on using them for the front speakers. I picked up a pair of RS3IIs this weekend for $99 each (couldn't pass up the price) and planned to use them for the surrounds. It seems from other forums that the Acadamy is the center speaker of choice and I hope to get one if possible. I currently have an old NAD 7250PE that I like for my 2 channel system so I am looking at an NAD 763 as my reciever.

Does anyone have a setup near this? If so, how do you like it? If not does anyone have an NAD 763 or one similar? What are the pluses and minuses of this reciever?

Also, how high should the RS3IIs be mounted?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Ken

Actually anothr Heresy II would be the best center to match. Cheaper to buy as well. The rear surrounds should be about 2 feet above listening position. Others will have to advise you on the NAD. Welcome and good luck!

Thanks for the reply.

I don't know quite how I would be able to place another Heresy for the center speaker. The only posible solution would be behind the TV, which doesn't seem ideal, and I don't even know if that would work.

Just out of curiosity though, since I have Heresy IIs, would it be best to have another Heresy II or would a Heresy work just as well.

Thanks again.

Ken,

Stick to a Heresy II if your choice is to match all three front speakers, as there is a difference between the Heresy and the Heresy II. As an option, but a bit smaller, with a good timbre match and less expensive than the Academy is the KLF C-7 center. I've used one with my Heresy II's for HT and my brother has A/B'd the Academy and C-7 in his HT with Heresys and he says he can't tell the difference.

I've not listened to NAD gear for quite a while, but the ones I did listen to were very "transparent" even though that term gets thrown around way too much.

Good Luck with your choices.

ken6432 :

Welcome to the worlds greatest speaker forum !!!!

Your life is about to change !

***if you have questions...learn to use the "search engine" in this forum***

There are years of back-logged common questions and suggestions.

~ Rock On ~