wiring schematic for din plug

teebo

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here you go:

2141pinlayout.GIF

At least I hope klipsch doesn't mind this being posted on the forum...if not, Amy will probably remove it.

Btw, you can always just purchase a replacement Control Pod for $21:

http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=780

It's a bit on the expensive side but it's the price for being lazy. I personally went the replacement route cuz it'd prob be built better than I could do it myself. Would it be possible for Klipsch to sell just a replacement DIN cable? Perhaps on an individual basis? I opened the pod up and noticed that it would be really easy to just swap out the cable.

post-10350-13819266533736_thumb.gif

Ok, I finally have time this weekend to sit down and try to fix my din plug. I want to just replace the broken plug with the plug from an old IBM ps/2 mouse. Has anyone done this? The wire colors are completely different on the mouse and I cannot find any information about these wire colors on the internet. Can anyone help, I really don't want to replace the entire preamp just for a cable (why don't klipsch just sell the cable?). Thank you.

----------------

On 7/16/2005 12:28:43 PM derbaff wrote:

Can anyone help, I really don't want to replace the entire preamp just for a cable (why don't klipsch just sell the cable?). Thank you.

----------------

I think you can purchase DIN plugs from your local Radio Shack if not Partsexpress.com

I believe one reason that Klipsch doesn't sell these cables is because they don't make them...it sounds totally like something that a seperate wire facility would assemble and have shipped to the assembly lines (at least that's how we did it in Michigan when building the Brunswick consoles). It'd still be nice if Klipsch would be willing to sell a DIN plug repair kit or something like that...Cable manufacturer are supposed to have an error rate below 1% and at the rate Klipsch is putting these together I have a hard time believing every unit is being tested...or more likely the DIN cables are working in the factory but quickly fall apart. The sad part is that contracts get made and they're prob stuck with these cables otherwise they'd have to eat a lot of cost (Keep in mind that if they change their cable provider, they have to get their product recertified which is another big headache). I know Brunswick is sticking with 20 and 30 year old designs simply because the recertification process is time consuming and expensive. They would sooner go with an entirely new lineup, than try to fix an old one (which it seems might be in the workings right now).

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

My DIN became completely disconnected from the cable and I've done enough soldering that it seemed simple enough to repair. The probIem is that don't have the same colored wiring with my 4.1 system compared to DrWho's diagram above.

Also from what I can tell, even my colored wires didn't match to the locations in the diagram at all. Here's what I think my pins originally looked like:

1. White

2. Blue

3. Not sure (Yellow or Orange)

4. Not sure '' ''

5. Green

6. Black

7. Brown

8. Red

Shield - bare wire

etc...

That seems simple enough but I've yet to get any sound at all. After numerous attempts at guessing which wire goes to which pinI've about given up hope of ever repairing the speakers. For the money I paid for these speakers when they were new, and numerous hardware problems I've had since, I debate whether I will buy another Klipsch set.

Still, if anyone has any ideas, I'd certainly appreciate it.

• 2 years later...

After numerous attempts at guessing which wire goes to which pinI've about given up hope of ever repairing the speakers.

For what it's worth, an incorrect guess could very well destroy some of the electronics in the process...so even if you got it right after a few wrong attempts, the odds are pretty high that it won't work until replacing the destroyed parts.