AMD/Microsoft Tech Tour

dragonfyr

You may be interested in this:

http://cs.silverpop.com/amd/tech_tour/2005/registration_site1.htm#venue

Agenda

3pm - registration begins

3-4p Tech Demo Showcase

4-615p Welcome/ Distributor Sponsor Presentation /AMD and Microsoft Market Opportunities615-715p Buffet Dinner / Technical Demo Showcase

739-9p Sponsor Presentations / AMD and Microsoft Marketing Opportunities / Marketing Programs

AMD/Microsoft Tech Tour 2005 Locations and Dates

June 16 Atlanta

June 21 Dallas

June 23 Houston

June 27 Irvine, CA

June 29 Burbank, CA

July 1 Sunnyvale, CA

July 12 Seattle

July14 Vancouver

July 19 Boston

July 21 East Brunswick, NJ

Attend the AMD/Microsoft Tech Tour 2005 and you are eligible to purchase one of each of the bundles highlighted below. The event will still be held at Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Irvine, Burbank, Sunnyvale, Seattle, Vancouver, Boston, and East Brunswick.

Desktop Bundle - $250

- AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 939 pin processor

- Asus A8N-E Socket 939 motherboard

- Microsoft Windows® XP x64 Edition

Server Bundle - $500

- 2 - AMD Opteron 246 CPUs

- Tyan Thunder K8SD Pro (S2882-D) motherboard

- Microsoft Server 2003 x64 Edition

I hope this doesn't sound 'flip', but the site is not a marketing site for selling products at a discount! This is not a casual 'walk in' event for those simply curious about computers, but an industry function assuming that one present themselves as a qualified business person - a system builder/developer. It is important to understand this! So I hope that no one assumes otherwise. Thus it is not for all, but as AMD has chosen to not publicize it and has made it a limited function spread by referral, many will not have heard of this. Thus my posting here for anyone interested and familiar with such functions.

How is that for sounding both cryptic and highfalutin!? But folks familiar with such promotional trade/industry functions shouldn't be intimidated by this!

It is a System Developer function, and they will be seeding the market with those two bundles available at the functions - that is why I cut and pasted the details here! More info is available after registration.

To give an idea of the value of the server bundle, the 246 Opteron retails (discount) at ~$365-$390 each! and the MB for ~$550 - with the total discounted online retail price being ~$1250 w/o shipping! And that doesn't even count the included 64-bit version of Windows 2003 server!

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

All around, one heck of a deal!

I registered and found THIS freakin' message regarding the bundle.

Welcome to the AMD Market Builder Promotion Fulfillment Portal

We apologize but due to the popularity of the AMD/Microsoft Tech Tour 2005 Desktop and Server show special offers, we are currently SOLD OUT. Please check back for future availability

Come On Folks!!!!

Yep, they have the units allocated for the show and they are supposed to be dealing with this.

That has been the normal procedure in the past and is the current policy per the contact with AMD.

Plus the fact that you are registering only about 3 months late from the rest of industry!

Quite frankly, I am amazed that there are ANY spots available at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am getting a quesy feeling that maybe I shouldn't have posted this!

As if lots of folks simply run in like they are at ToysRUs it is going to raise quite lot of suspicion, as you will stand out!

After all, who do you think is sponsoring this event?

Frye's or CompUSA!?!?!?!?!?!

----------------

On 6/16/2005 4:39:18 PM dragonfyr wrote:

Come On Folks!!!!

Yep, they have the units allocated for the show and they are supposed to be dealing with this.

That has been the normal procedure in the past and is the current policy per the contact with AMD.

Plus the fact that you are registering only about
3 months late
from the rest of industry!

Quite frankly, I am amazed that there are ANY spots available at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am getting a quesy feeling that maybe I shouldn't have posted this!

As if lots of folks simply run in like they are at ToysRUs it is going to raise quite lot of suspicion, as you
will
stand out!

After all, who do you think is sponsoring this event?

Frye's or CompUSA!?!?!?!?!?!

----------------

Huh?

Why did you post it if you didn't think that there were any spots left?

Why did you make mention of the bundle if it isn't relevant?

Why do you assume that you're the only (or at least preeminent) technology professional in the crowd?

Sheesh!7.gif

Don't worry, I can hold my own amongst the "geeks". And even if I did stick out like a sore thumb (with my clean, color-coordinated and fashionable attire) and was picked up by security for questioning, I wouldn't sell you out. It'll be our little secret2.gif

>Why did you post it if you didn't think that there were any spots left?

Good Question.

>Why did you make mention of the bundle if it isn't relevant?

Good Question.

>Why do you assume that you're the only (or at least preeminent) technology professional in the >crowd?

That one is easy, noone else here even OWNS a computer besides him I bet.

"I am getting a quesy feeling that maybe I shouldn't have posted this!

As if lots of folks simply run in like they are at ToysRUs it is going to raise quite lot of suspicion, as you will stand out!"

I didn't know it was a secret, I don't want to stand out, I guess maybe I should wear pants when I go. Is that correct attire so I don't stand out?

----------------

On <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />6/17/2005 10:13:52 AM skeptic wrote: <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

>Why did you post it if you didn't think that there were any spots left?

>>Good Question.

Qualified industry representatives were solicited approximately two moths ago with personalized registration invitations. It was not an open forum. It was invitation only! I was lucky enough to be offered the opportunity to invite additional qualified colleagues with an open registration where I did not have to submit their name and contact information. Instead I was silly enough to think of making this opportunity available to some here. So I decided to post it here. Many cities are already full. Some are not. I have no idea where you are located, and as I am not your mother, it was a pot luck opportunity.

>Why did you make mention of the bundle if it isn't relevant?

>>Good question.

The primary purpose of the function is to provide briefing information for system builders, developers and resellers - the vertical channel. Not everyone qualified is interested in obtaining the barebones components. The bundles are primarily aimed at the developers. So the bundles are secondary for many and NOT the main focus! And as the serial numbers of the HW and SW are tied and registered to the purchaser with strict reserved rights conditions, they are not for resale. Believe it or not, some attendees have legitimate uses for these and AMD and MS assume that these conditions will be met. And this is regardless of what you or I may think of the companies or their products.

>Why do you assume that you're the only (or at least preeminent) technology professional in the >crowd?

>>That one is easy, noone else here even OWNS a computer besides him I bet.

Do I? I do know that I not only received a personalized invitation several months ago, but I was offered the additional opportunity to invite colleagues only several hours before my posting it. An offer not generally afforded to anyone when a function is already very popular and where many are being refused attendance. And I thought of a few folks here.

But as you are probably speaking for others, as I am sure that you have already received your personal invitations, you already know this.

To be honest, I dont know. I received an invitation. Thus I have the luxury of not having to care.

>"I am getting a queasy feeling that maybe I shouldn't have posted this!

>As if lots of folks simply run in like they are at ToysRUs it is going to raise quite lot of suspicion, >as you will stand out!"

>>I didn't know it was a secret, I don't want to stand out, I guess maybe I should wear pants >>when I go. Is that correct attire so I don't stand out?

Its not a secret! In fact many who would like to go know all too well about it, but they lack the means of registering. I decided to afford the opportunity to folks here who I hoped would choose to take advantage of the opportunity to learn and perhaps realize the incredible bonus that the bundles afford. I also, perhaps erroneously, assume that those who do register, will not behave as many folks might who would go and exercise the opportunity to complain about MS or about various alternative CPU designs and platforms, as the folks in attendance will be interested in learning about the 64-bit AMD and 64-bit Windows environment.

What I was going to post today, when I returned to find the above tantrums, was information regarding the availability of additional bundles intended for those who do not already know!

I was called this evening and informed that for those locations meeting after next Friday, that a limited number of additional bundles should be available for order on the web next Friday or the following Monday. And as the bundles are only delivered at the functions, those locations meeting prior to that time will not be allocated any more, as the pre-invited guests have already had two months to order.

Oh, lest I forget! regarding pants, as those above have expressed concern. I too would highly suggest wearing pants! And I am so glad that you concur! Appropriate dress would be business casual long pants worn about the waist, without your oh so trendy boxers showing. .I know! I know! How dare they!?!? But just suck it up and endure the stifling of your individual creativity for the evening!

I hope that helps those who are interested. 2.gif9.gif3.gif

I wish I could attend and learn more about the 64 bit revolution. Plus I would love to have that bundle. Not to sell on ebay that's for sure to make a profit. I would enjoy owning a better computer. I'm on diulup internet. 14.gif I don't know if any technology will help me. I know my computer is much more capable, but no Dsl in the area. Dragonfyr I am glad you posted about this even though I can't go. If I was in the area I would of been extemely happy for that info. Heck I probally would attend without the bundle deal. Because I am becoming more interested in computers lately.

I simply tried to pass on the opportunity if someone could benefit, but i must admit that there seems to be alot of simple complaining.

I didn't plan it - i'm just the messenger!

---------------------------------------------------------

But regarding your dialup situation...just an idea. As you don't have DSL, is there a chance that you have digital cable?

Their broadband option works pretty well too IF you can get it for a decent price! -

In too many areas they are AWFULLY proud of it! I know that in much of the DFW area broadband cable internet access is $49!!!

And DSL is still expensive at $26.95.

But if cable is available and if it is reasonable in cost you might consider that....

Oh! And as far as 64 bit.

It is coming, but it will not benefit most in ways that you might expect. It will not run faster. In many ways it can actually run a bit slower!

But the primary benefit is that the memory addressing capability will scale dramatically. What this means is that the current amount of data that can be accessed with 32 bit is 2 ^32.

With 64 bit the number of records is 2^64 - a big number!2.gif

The best way I have heard it compared is that if 32 bit is the same data that will fit on a 3x5 inch file card, 64 bit is the same data that will fit on a card the size of Central Park! (843 acres I think! or about 1.3 square miles!)

The biggest benefit will be for large data bases. (And UNIX has been 64 bit since 1997)

Graphics will benefit, but primarily due to graphics chips and not CPUs.

Besides, PC users will need the extra memory, especially if they continue to play with Windows - as I suspect its bloat will easily keep up with Moore's law and will continue to grow and fill it up!2.gif