Cracking in Left Front Speaker

Heifetz

This is a very unusual situation. I just bought a new set of 4.1s and when I play music, the left front speaker cracks on certain frequencies WHEN the surround is on. When I turn down the surround to Min, there is no distortion. The cracks are not overtly loud, but I can still hear them sitting in my chair. I'm pretty sure its not a speaker problem because I switched the speakers around, and its always the left front that cracks. And also, it stops cracking when the sourround is turned down. So is this a soundcard issue? I have SB PCI512 (which is basically a live value w/o spdif out) on Win XP Pro.

Heifetz

This message has been edited by Heifetz on 09-09-2001 at 03:30 PM

• 2 weeks later...

It is not teh sound card. This was talked about in another place too. The frequencies that are put through the klipsch system are broken up into peices, lows of course to teh sub, then mid to midrange and highs to tweeters. However, sometimes computer setting can be off where it is say 2-4 dB too high, making the lows go to teh mids, the mids to teh tweets and the tweeters max out. This can easily be fixed by using your Equalizer, especially in WinAMP and Media Jukebox where you can move its "preamp" up and down a range of 24dB.

If this does not fix it, then there is a problem with your Preamp or BASH. i would say the BASH. The problem i see with the Preamp is this. Since you say that when you turn the surround up to cause this problem it makes me think... hmmm, so the LESS sound to that channel, the more distortion... Does not add up, therefor i woudl come to teh conclusion that the PreAmp (i change the case everytime... LoL!) is messing up, it should not do that. Now, i can also say that maybe teh BASH is not channeling the sound correctly, putting the frequencies where they should not go.

So, this really only answers one question, is it the sound card, NO.

It adds three more, is it the computer, the PreAmP, or is it the BASH?

I will admit taht SB cards do sometimes have the crackling but since you say it happens when the surround is turned up it kills that idea.

Email Amy with the address below and see if she can further troubleshoot this and/or wait for someone like Theear to come here, he is pretty good, also Dan F. Those are two i can think of off the top of my head.

Good luck!

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, but if it is professional help you want email Amy or call her toll free: 1-888-554-5665

http://www.fortunecity.com/campus/berry/88/